cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDVA Install Problems on ESX 3.5

14ALL
Level 4
I got PDVA 6.5 up and running as a test no problem.
Now I am building PDVA 6.6 and having issues.
I imported the virtual appliance successfully into vmware and verified the settings.
The OS would partial boot and then the vm would shut down.  Error log reported NIC incompatibility.
I noticed the OS was set to "Other" and the NIC was "Flex".  Changed NIC to vmxnet and system booted successfully.

I registered A, C, and PTR records in DNS and attempted install.  Yast runs and I fill in the Network Config.
Choosing "Next" gives me the error "Setting the SPA's FQDN Failed.

This is a preconfigured Virtual Appliance.  I would expect it to work out of the box.  What am I missing?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

14ALL
Level 4

After weeks of contacting tech support to get a valid license, it was determined that I should install my initial license and then was provided an additional client key code.  Hard to imagine this took soooo much effort.  With my original PDVA server key code and related client key code registered on my PureDisk server, I can now add and backup clients to PureDisk.  My guess is there are a couple of different licensing models out there which may have added to the confusion.  In the end, the error message was correct and everyone should have acted on that information.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

14ALL
Level 4
Tried the following:
1. Upgraded vmware tools to latest version, rebooted and got same error.
2. With vmware tools upgraded, set NIC back to Flex and got same error.
3. With vmware tools upgraded, set OS Type to "Other - 64Bit" and NIC to "E1000"
     This caused YaST to accept my entries and move on to Network Config Screen 2.

Still installing and so will leave this thread open until completed.

14ALL
Level 4

PDOS v6.6 Up and Running.

Trying to add my first client generated the error:

Registering the Pure Disk Agent with the Storage Pool Authority...
Fri Feb  5 2010 14:10:43.652000 ERROR (2476): The webservice returned an error :  The installed license does not allow to install client agents
Fri Feb  5 2010 14:10:43.652000 ERROR (2476): An error occurred while retrieving webservice result.
Failed while Registering the Pure Disk Agent with the Storage Pool Authority

CONFIGURATION  FAILED!!!

Contacting vender on licensing issue.  If this is a bogus error message and someone has any insight on it, please advise. --Thanks

14ALL
Level 4
Solution: Bad Server Key Code
Opened case with Symantec Tech.  Referred me to two docs:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284300

Even though I received my activation serial number in an official Symantec Express pdf, and even though I used this information to obtain an upgraded key code from Symantec's web site to v6.6, and even though the server accepted the key code without complaints, somehow the key code was invalid causing a bogus client licensing error message (this environment doesn't require client licenses as the licensing is on the storage/server side).

Symantec Tech gave me a 2 month demo key to get me running and my VAR is working out the key issue. 

14ALL
Level 4

After weeks of contacting tech support to get a valid license, it was determined that I should install my initial license and then was provided an additional client key code.  Hard to imagine this took soooo much effort.  With my original PDVA server key code and related client key code registered on my PureDisk server, I can now add and backup clients to PureDisk.  My guess is there are a couple of different licensing models out there which may have added to the confusion.  In the end, the error message was correct and everyone should have acted on that information.

14ALL
Level 4

This was a fun ride.

Nickyxx9
Level 3
Thanks for posting this 14ALL - I didn't have the license key issue but did have the same initial problems as you with NIC incompatibility.

The PDVA ships with an E1000 NIC in the VM, but the operating system type is incorrectly set to "Suse Linux Enterprise 10 (32 bit)".  Set this to 64 bit in the drop down and the NIC stops  complaining.