cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureDisk 6.6.3a with ET2657689-bundle_v6

Doug_Vegge
Level 3

Our PureDisk 6.6.0.3 with NetBackup 6.5.6 had been running very smoothly for 11 months, but since July we started having performance issues with a large backup of tlogs, Then the disk volume started going down because of space issues.  Support had me upgrade PD to 6.6.3a with ET2657689-bundle_v6 which was completed.  When the upgrade was completed, the SLPs were unable to write data to the storage units.  Support made a change to one of the programs.  The change made was "pddo" to "pddo_backup" and then data was being written to the disk pools.   I still think there is a programming issue, because space does not appear to be freed up when images expire.  I have been running commands to remove "orphan images" for the past eight weeks, trying to stay ahead of the curve.   Since I am not having any issues with the primary PD system, only the one that receives replicated images from SLPs. I know that NB 6.5.6 is reaching end-of-life, but I told support I was NOT going to create an opportuntiy to introduce additional problems with a NB upgrade.

Over the past 24 hours, I have expired 4126 backup images on the PD system with issues. Currently running the CR-Queue Processing command from the comand line prompt.   It will be very interesting to see how much if any space will be recovered.

1 REPLY 1

f25
Level 4

The NetBackup 7.1.0.4 is the aligned version that should not "orphan" images on PureDisk pool.

If you prefer to keep with manual images expiration on PDDO pool here are the steps: 1. Expire them; 2. CR Queue Processing; 3. MBE Garbage Collection; 4. CR Queue Processing; 6. CR Garbage Collection. And avoid running those parallely with backups: may take a longer time and sometimes cause a deadlock.

Furthermore after upgrade from 6.6.0/1 to 6.6.3 rebasing kick-starts. This "unpacks" and "packs" the whole CR content running on the verge of warning thresholds.

At the end, I would recommend contacting Symantec Support to complete the whole "Clean-up". It should be self running. Good-luck!