cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureDisk and multiplexing

levy
Level 3
Hi all !

I created in the NetBackup policy client and added to the backup. Backup is performed to the PureDisk. When the backup ends PureDisk then sends the data to NetBackup in LCP policy. LCP policy duplicates the data on the storage tape one streams. How to force NetBackup duplication went to a few streams on a one tape?

I applied in the StorageUnit Tape to 4 streams and no effect.

Regards

--
michal

4 REPLIES 4

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

It sounds like you are backing up clients using PureDisk.

And then after the completion of PureDisk backups, you are again exporting the backup data from PureDisk to NetBackup, using "Export to NetBackup" policy configured on PureDisk. (and also there is a Datastore type policy configured on NetBackup, right?)

PureDisk Administrator's Guide says only one job will run per one export policy.

If you want to run multiple export jobs at a time, then you can create multiple export policies on the PureDisk Storage Pool. (see the quote from PureDisk Admin Guide, further down) I guess you'll have to separate the dataselections among the multiple export policies then. For example, if you create two export policies, then you put half of dataselections in the first export policy, and the second half of dataselections in the other export policy.

Also, make sure the NetBackup policy's schedule tab has "media multiplexing" set to 2 or higher value, and enable the "Maximum Jobs per Client" setting to 2 or higher value, on the master server's host properties window - and finally, leave the "Limit jobs per policy" box unchecked at the NetBackup policy's attributes tab.

Following is what's described in page 32 of "Veritas NetBackup PureDisk™ Administrator’s Guide" for Puredisk version 6.5

Managing export jobs
The following paragraphs explain how PureDisk manages export jobs:
■ You can create multiple PureDisk export policies for a single NetBackup
export engine. PureDisk runs one export job per export policy at a time.
■ If you have two or more PureDisk export policies, these policies can send
data to the same NetBackup DataStore policy. However, you are not limited
to only one NetBackup DataStore policy. You can have multiple NetBackup
DataStore policies.
■ PureDisk can run multiple export jobs simultaneously from multiple
NetBackup export engines if the data originated on two or more PureDisk
clients. However, if the export jobs work with data that originated from a
single PureDisk client, PureDisk runs the jobs one at a time.

Hope all this helps
:-)
Abe

levy
Level 3
Hi !

Thank you very much for comprehensive information.

I use PureDisk mode all in one (one server). In NetBackup created Storage Lifecycle Polices and backup data from client to PureDisk in a later duplication with PureDisk to NetBackup tape. I would like LCP with something to increase the number of streams to a tape. Can only be done using NetBackup?

Regards.

--
michal

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that you can not set number of streams for the Storage Lifecycle Policy operations.

What I can think of is the "MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB" parameter - you can set it to lower number, so that it kicks off the duplication job quickly, and (hopefully) initiate the next one quickly again - then effectively it may work as multiple-stream backup?

If you are using Storage Lifecycle Policy and PureDisk, to me it sounds like a big environment, you'd have support contract with Symantec Tech Support - why don't you try asking them.

Good luck!

:-)

Abe

bakitup
Level 4

Form what I have read you are asking about the second copy.  is your NetBackup Policy for the original backup for the client set to use multiple streams?  I believe the SLP will duplicate based on a backupimage, so try setting your Policy to multiple streams with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES or use the NEW_STREAM directive to see if that will provide multiple duplicate jobs in SLP.

Jeff