cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk Dedupe vs. NBU 7 Dedupe

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I have 23 remote file servers backing up to a Puredisk server here on site.  I am in the process of upgrading my NBU 6.5.5 to NBU 7.0.  Does anyone have any experience with NBU 7.0 dedupe?  Or better yet, does anyone have any experience with Puredisk AND NBU 7 dedupe?  I am adding more and more remote servers to my backups and I'm wondering if I need to quit pushing Puredisk to those remote servers if I can use NBU 7.0 to accomplish the same task?  I would think NBU 7 would be the cheaper route.  Does anyone have any real world experience with this?  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and even though it won't be rewarded, it will be graded.

Thanks

Randy

2 REPLIES 2

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

I thought NBU dedup is just a wrap-up of PD dedup core.

Which means the perf/decup factor should be almost the same?

Of course using NBU dedup will give you more options than bare PD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Abe

teiva-boy
Level 6

There are a couple of use cases where PD is still superior like larger dedupe pools up to 192 TB.  Or better remote office backups as PureDisk stores a hash db on the clients as a cache.  Where as NBU has to request it everytime a policy kicks off.

But over all NBU works really really well, and yes it's cheaper.  But it's important to size accordingly as requirements and scaling will determine the ultimate solution.  And in some cases, you may still run both!