cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk Hardware Migration??

Blane2000
Level 3

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips, ideas, documentation on replacing\migrating Puredisk servers to new hardware??

I have 2 x Puredisk servers (1 x CR, 1 x SPA-and-all-other-roles) that are on old servers that I need to replace.

The /Storage partitions reside on an EMC array that is to remain, and are assigned in 500GB LUNs for a total of 7.4TB.

We're running Puredisk 6.5.1.2 and I would prefer to migrate this version before upgrading to 6.6.x.

I have raised a case with Symantec support, but apparently there is no hardware upgrade path for Puredisk. They have pointed me to the 'disaster recovery' pages of the admin guide and advise using Symantecs consultancy services.

Thanks

Blane

2 REPLIES 2

S_Williamson
Level 6

Hi

This is always a tricky subject but it comes down to two options

1. DR Backup/Restore

Do a full DR Backup of your existing system, Build a new system (on the new hardware) and DR Restore on to it.

2. New Server

Build a New server and move the clients from pointing to the old one to the new one.

I usually go for option 2 but I always export my clients to Tape once a week , I only keep 30-45 days on disk so effectively after 7 days I could turn my old server off if I wanted to but its usually around 30 days (for the ability to be able to restore any files in the last month).

Hope this helps

Simon

S_Williamson
Level 6

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/puredisk-hardware-migration