cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk all in one installation on Hyper-V

Robert_Graves
Level 2

Anyone out there tested an all in one installation of a Puredesk storage unit on a VM running on Hyper-V?

Thanks,

Robert

5 REPLIES 5

EvilBert
Level 2
We are running PD 6.2.1 on ESX 3.02 , 1 x SPA, 2x MBE and 2x CR, with 15 TB on raw LUN.
Exept for the PD bugs it runs OK..
But why would you like to run Linux in a Hyper-V (microsoft) environment?

stefaanv
Level 3
Hey Robert,

Although technically feasible, PureDisk is currently not officially supported in a Hyper-V environment, primarily because we haven't fully tested and qualified this type of configuration yet.

I’m interested to hear how many clients and how much data you would like to protect to this all-in-one installation?

With ESX environment we do have extensive experience and today we support PureDisk in the following 3 configurations:

Remote Office Shared ESX Infrastructure
ESX Infrastructure: shared between PureDisk and other VMware guests
All-in-one PureDisk server with a storage capacity of 500 GB to 1 TB
PureDisk VMware guest running in a VMDK file on top of a VMFS partition on the
internal or direct attached storage
Typical client agent count: up to 10 systems

Remote Office Dedicated ESX Infrastructure
ESX Infrastructure dedicated for PureDisk VMware guests
Multi-node PureDisk server with a storage capacity up to 8 TB
3 to 4 PureDisk VMware guests using Raw Device Mapping to access the storage

Datacenter Dedicated ESX Infrastructure
ESX Infrastructure dedicated for PureDisk VMware guests
Multi-node PureDisk server with a storage capacity up to 24 TB
3 to 10 PureDisk VMware guests using Raw Device Mapping to access the storage

Find more information in our HCL: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303597.htm

Thanks,
Stefaan

Robert_Graves
Level 2

We are deploying standard DL380G5/G6 boxes with 1TB to 2TB of storage capacity for our remote offices runnning ESX or Hyper-V. This give us an all in one configuration allowing DC, File Server, and local IT services such as AV/WSUS/Imaging.

Hyper-V is easier for our organization to support and I would like some of my remote sites to have a local Puredisk storage pool that replicates to a central location. This provides faster restores as long as we don't lose the entire ESX/Hyper-V box for my remote site.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert_Graves
Level 2

I plan on testing a remote office all in one implmentation on Hyper-V in the near future. The configuration will be as follows:

HP DL380G5 with 16GB RAM and 900GB local raid 5 storage
4 network ports (3 teamed for VM's)

Windows 2003/2008 DC (Does not require protection)
Windows 2003/2008 File Server (65GB to grow to 250GB)
Puredisk 6.5.0.1 All in One (250GB to 500GB)

Future expansion for IT servers such as AV/WSUS/Imaging

We plan to backup to the local storage pool then implement replication policies to our central storage pool in our main data center for DR and access to Netbackup Media servers.

-Robert

Clieman
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Robert, would you kindly share experience of deploying PureDisk with 2TB disk? any problem while the used capacity more than 1TB, thanks

Clieman