cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk-->Netbackup export policies open question

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
    How are people typically handling the export from Puredisk to Netbackup?  Just to keep some people happy I've set up the Daily-Monthly-Weekly as described in the manual, but that's a bucketload of policies!

It seems to me that Puredisk calls for a new way of thinking about this, so I'm interested in what other people are doing.
2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
I am subscribing to this posting as I would like to hear the dialog too.

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
OK- so the crickets are chirping out there on this one.  Either no one is willing to spill the beans, or with the holidays no one is checking forums.

I'll go first then- after much gnashing of teeth, we've settled on a default of: keep Puredisk for 180 days in disk.  The only export we are doing to tape is the DR backup.

The thinking here is that since all of our Puredisk clients are at remote locations, we are technically already backed up offsite, so spinning an additional tape for the vault is overkill.  Our PD server is SAN-attached, so we're pretty well set for disk protection.  We do vault the DR tapes (through Netbackup).

The downside here is that for restores, we now have 2 separate locations to get the data.  As some of our larger sites are straight Netbackup, this could cause some confusion (which should last all of 2 minutes in my opinion).  I really hope Symantec gets the Puredisk more closely integrated soon.

Thoughts from the community?