Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puredisk storage migration

beaumont02
Level 0
Accredited

Hi everyone,

I'm new to puredisk, my company wants to decomission the storage array where puredisk is running. The storage pool it's about 4TB.

What is the best way to migrate the storage pool on a new physical array? new LUN are already visible to the server. I was thinking about making a mirror using the VxVM running under puredisk, but will the puredisk aware of the new underlying volume configuration?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

f25
Level 4

Hi!

The best way to do that would be:

1. Mount the "NEW Storage".

2. Use VxVM to "join" the "NEW" to the "OLD" Volume as mirror copy. It will take some time - a day or son on 4 TB.

3. Remove the "OLD" storage from the mirror once it is synced.

Avoid intensive I/O periods - like backup window or CR Queue Processing - when adding mirror or removing the volume. The "sync" can go in background. PureDisk should not even notice that. However, if you want to change disk size PureDisk services restart is neccessary. If you want to reduce the size you would need to remove the HDR files from Content Router Storage.

The structure is:

Physical Volume - VxVM Disk Group - VxVM Volume (optionally mirrored) - "Real Volume" EXT3/VxFS - mount point in OS.

VxVM is a powerfull tool, so should be possible with almost no downtime.

Good luck!

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well 

we have also migrated PD Server

But please take the Symantec Support Engineer to do that 

as it is very critical

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

DOCUMENTATION: Steps to dump and import the PureDisk Database(s)

Article:TECH56966  |  Created: 2008-01-22  |  Updated: 2010-01-24  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56966

but as i told before must take Symatec support