Did you mean: 

Remote Backup / Deduplication

jpontes
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

My customer has the following scenario:

01 Main Site
06 Remote Sites (05 fileservers on each site)

All sites, main and remote, are connected trhough WAN links and he wants to have a local deduplicated backup copy (tape or disk) on each remote site plus a global deduplicated backup of all remote sites at the main site.

I'm thinking of one master/media at the main site and one enterprise client (acting as media server) plus four standard clients per remote site.
Am I in the right direction? Could you guys help me with a good architecture for this scenario? 

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

jpontes
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

Would you guys help me with a good architecture for the above scenario?
Any comment or recommendation would be appreciated.

Regards

Lee_C
Level 5

In your statement you said "he wants to have a local deduplicated backup copy (tape or disk)"

You are proposing "...one master/media at the main site and one enterprise client (acting as media server) plus four standard clients per remote site."

I don't understand what you mean by "one enterprise client (acting as media server)", so I can't see from your solution see you can achieve to local deduplicated copy. 

Can you clarify how important this requirement is "he wants to have a local deduplicated backup copy" ?

Also can you indicate what the WAN speeds, amount of data, rate of data change, recovery point objectives and recovery time objectives?

You posted this in the Puredisk forum, but made no reference to Puredisk in your proposed solution.  Does your client have Puredisk or similar dedupe storage or are they looking to Puredisk or Puredisk technology?

The answer to these may lend itself to various solutions, client side dedupe over the WAN (if local dedupe is not absolutely required) or something like an SLP consisting of a backup to dedupe pool residing at each remote location with duplication to Puredisk.