NetBackup Master 7.5.0.7

Media Server ( nbu02 )

Window 2008
NetBackup Media 7.5.0.7
MSDP with puredisk 

Setup storage server load balancing for dedupe pool 
nbu01 and nbu02

setup SLP backup to disk then duplicate to tape

both nbu01 and nbu02 connected to the same tape library ofcourse with SSO enable

All backup and duplication went well but found out that during duplication to tape, always server nbu01 trigger to job even the tape storage unit is connected to nbu02. 

I want to know if duplication job trigger from nbu01, let say backup image is 100GB, from the dedupe guide, it say that it will always rehydrate the data where the dedupe pool server is, so means nbu02, so do this means that it will send 100GB data to nbu01, then nbu01 will send back 100GB of data back to nbu02, because i select tape storage unit that connected to the nbu02, and write to tape.

If above is true, means my bottleneck will be at the LAN, and how do i force only use nbu02 during duplication job.

I also planning to remove the load balancing, since i dont see much help on the backup and duplication, but i still have job queuing for duplication.
If i inactive those job, remove the nbu01 from the load balancing, and activate backup duplication, will the duplication job still look for nbu01 ?

or i need to cancel all job, and do manual duplication ?

anyone please help.

2 REPLIES 2

Bryan_L
Level 2
Employee

Hello,

If you remove the master servers credentials from the Dedupe pool then your duplications will use your media server.

In the above with nbu01 acting as the media server it will be the one pulling the data to then write to tape.

If you cancel the jobs through the Admin Console (Right click Cancel) then remove the nbu01s credentials the SLPs will restart selecting the only media server that can access the pool.

Thank you,

Bryan

Sulivan77
Level 4

Might be a longshot but.  Host Properties >> Master Server >> Change >> General Server  

Go to media host override section.  

Click add >>  origianl server nbu01, restore server nbu01 >>ok

Add again >> original server nbu02, restore server nbu02>> 0k.

I know this isn't a restore operation (you'll probably want this setting at some point anyway) but it may help keep everything in its cages. 

Sully