cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeding Netbackup Puredisk locally to USB?

Matt_Harris
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I am running a Netbackup Puredisk 6.6.0.3 server and have to begin backups of a large amount of data over a very small link.

Is there any funcionally within puredisk to allow me backup to USB on the server i am backing up and then Plug the USB hard drive into my Puredisk server to add to my disk pool to save potentally weeks of performing a Full Backup over a network link?

Many thanks in advance..

Matt.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

S_Williamson
Level 6

Hi Matt,

I dont think you can plug a USB drive into the puredisk server to save time.

What I do is plug the USB drive into a Windows server thats on Lan to the Puredisk Server and then backup the drive letter the USB drive is on.

This will populate all the fingerprints required and store the blocks. Your initial first run on the remote side will probably take some time as it still is required to scan through the filesystem and break all the files down into small 128K blocks but it should work out it has most of the blocks and there for not transfer the data.

Doing similar things myself, I have found it reduces the amount of data transferred by 90-95%.

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

S_Williamson
Level 6

Hi Matt,

I dont think you can plug a USB drive into the puredisk server to save time.

What I do is plug the USB drive into a Windows server thats on Lan to the Puredisk Server and then backup the drive letter the USB drive is on.

This will populate all the fingerprints required and store the blocks. Your initial first run on the remote side will probably take some time as it still is required to scan through the filesystem and break all the files down into small 128K blocks but it should work out it has most of the blocks and there for not transfer the data.

Doing similar things myself, I have found it reduces the amount of data transferred by 90-95%.

Simon

Matt_Harris
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Cheers Simon,

I will investigate this time saving method.