cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify that data is being transferred

rsamora
Level 5
Certified
I have a remote server being backed up over a slow WAN link and I know that the initial job is going to run forever.  Yesterday morning the job was at 8% complete and it never changed all day.  This morning it is at 14% complete so I know that there is progress.  But is there any way for me to monitor real time progress when the complete percentage rate is moving so slowly?  I would like to be able to at least make a good guesstimate as to when the job will complete and also know in advance if the job stalls.

Thanks,
Randy
4 REPLIES 4

Jeremy_Chng
Not applicable
I would like to know how to check this as well...

PureD
Level 4
Completion status is tough within the PureDisk application. Earlier versions would show files being processed but I think that was pulled from later versions for performance reasons. The PureDisk client will have a pdengine process running during a backup and you should see established connections to the remote content router(s) 10082 TCP port in a netstat output on the client and vice versa on the remote CR's. (client uses random port)   You could also run a packet capture to see the volume of traffic going to the CR's.

The PD client can handle really poor network connections that include poor bandwidth and high latency. I've heard of PD clients taking a month for the initial backup while going across/between continents over high latency links like satellite. One strategy is to run the first backup of a client that will become a new server at a remote office location, locally in the same network as the content routers to seed storage and then ship the server to the remote location. The following backups will all be incrementals.

S_Williamson
Level 6

We often get jobs that appear to be hund but if you leave them for a while they seem to come good, Sometimes they dont. The only way I can tell if a job appears to be working is check the installation folder on the Source. Look in C:\program files\symantec\NetBackup PureDisk Agent\tmp for the time/date on the workflow and job files. If its been updated in the last 12 hours then its usually okay. Its hard to tell.

Also look in c:\Program Files\Symantec\NetBackup PureDisk Agent\var\srd\XX folder (where XX is a number relating to the Data Selection ID on the Puredisk Server.

Several files in this folder should be changing depending on that state the backup is in.

A folder called "current" is created when a backup has run or is currently running. If a previous backup has been run the folder is renamed to "previous" and a new folder called "current" is created. Inside the previous folder is a file called "SnapshotPOList.po" . Check in the Current folder for the file. It should grow to approx the same size as the one in the "previous" folder.  The time stamp/size grows peridically.

In the main srd\XX\ folder another file called "tmp_polist.po" should also be growing as its compiling what needs to be backed up. When the backup reaches 4% mark (typically) the file is then renamed to polist.po and a second file called tmp_polist.po is created as it started to export the blocks needed. Again time stamps/size should be increasing, If the date stamp of these files looks like its from 24+ hours ago, you probably have a hung job. Also check the detailed Status of the job to asertain any info and then always try to Terminate Gracefully.

Hope this helps.

amandak695
Not applicable

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!