cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WEBCAST: NetBackup PureDisk Overview 08-FEB-2007 11:00am (PST) 60 mins

Stumpr2
Level 6
WEBCAST: NetBackup PureDisk Solution Overview
Now you can eliminate the risk, cost, and management of tape systems with Veritas NetBackup PureDisk� Remote Office Edition. If your enterprise relies on a tape backup system to protect the data in your remote offices, your operational costs and efficiencies are not being optimized. A better solution is available today.

Introducing NetBackup PureDisk Remote Office Edition, a highly efficient, scalable, and secure remote office data protection solution that uses diskbased backup to unify disparate remote offices into a single protection solution. Attend this free webcast and learn how NetBackup PureDisk can enable you to:

Eliminate the complexity of remote office data protection.
Secure and optimize data protection for remote offices.
Centralize data protection administration and management.
Take a big leap forward in remote office backup with NetBackup

Here is a link to register for tomorrows webcast
http://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=92378&a_id=35306&
9 REPLIES 9

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Signed up thank you.

Stumpr2
Level 6
good, I can't sign up but I sure would value your opinion when it is over.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
No problem.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
I sat in on one of these webcasts. I think the product is really good. Just one more product in the vein of Riverbed, Data Domain and other de-duplication product offerings. I went to a joint NetApp Symantec vendor meeting and it does seem that PureDisk will be 'bundled' into Netbackup 6.5. What they wouldn't say was whether it's an optional product to be licensed for or if it's included in the offering.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
So I listened to the PureDisk cast. I like the solution. I am not convinced that replaceing a remote library with PureDisk at a local site then backing it up locally is a great solution since if you loose your remote site you have to restore the machine locally then ship it to the remote site. Large restores will be problematic. I have heard this pitch a fair amount from several resources. I think people will go with it at first until they have to do a couple of large restore or DR recoveries. After that I think people will think about trying to figure out how to best keep the data local and then archive offsite old data. Backing up across the WAN I think is asking for trouble especally in a true DR situation. I do like it as a replacement for short term backups. With a PureDisk solution the only data that really has to go offsite is archive data. For short term data it is trippy cool.

As with other similar solutions the real question will be, is the cost worth it. For some sites definitely. At 16k per Terabyte it can add up. I do think for some sites this is all they really need. It is a good tool to add to the the mix. I do not think it will replace tape in the near term especally for archiving. Tape just keeps getting faster and cheaper. LTO4 will be 800 gig native and most people have a hard time pushing the speed of LTO3 to capacity.

DavidParker
Level 6
Now, if only they would add support for Novell on PureDisk ...

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281792

DOCUMENTATION: This TechNote provides a revision history of updates to manuals for Veritas NetBackup (tm) PureDisk Remote Office Edition, release 6.0, 6.0 MP1 and 6.1.

pvmayer
Level 2
Employee Accredited
"Now, if only they would add support for Novell on PureDisk ... "

Hi David,
For SLES based Netware, we can run the PureDisk Linux client for backup.  For legacy Netware systems, we have implemented a solution for backing up with PureDisk that works quite well.  You would configure a supported client platform in the environment (such as Windows, Unix, or Linux) and run the PureDisk client there.  You would then mount the Netware server as a network volume, and back it up across the LAN.  We have written scripts that capture the ACLs to a flat file, which gets backed up with the file system.   This is running in production currently, and the feedback has been positive.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please move this thread to the new PureDisk forum