cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is PureDisk being used?

Stumpr2
Level 6
I haven't seen postings about The NetBackup addon called PureDisk. Whoever is using this will you please post your experiences? I think it will become a valuable addition with the single instance backup that I have heard about. I think it will NOT be only a "remote office" product. I think it could take off to become a major replacement for NetBackup in a datacenter that has good disk storage available to take advantage of the single instance backup.

I have also heard that it will be bundled into the 6.5 release. Can anyone confirm this? Here is a link to product information:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/overview.jsp?pcid=1018&pvid=1381_1
13 REPLIES 13

Stumpr2
Level 6
some verbage on the single instance:

NetBackup PureDisk technology employs distinctive fingerprint technology to distinguish unique files and file segments. File and segement fingerprints are derived from the content. The result is that files with the same content will have the same fingerprint, even when they have different attributes or locations. After an initial backup, only those globally unique segments with new or modified data will be backed up.
Replace tape backups with disk backups.
Reduces backup storage requirements by 10-50x.
Identifies unique files and file segments across clients, operating systems, and remote offices.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
We almost went with the Avamar solution. They were here a few times. I spent quite a bit of time going over ROI with them. The main reason we did not deploy it was their upfront cost was way to high for us. If it had been somewhat affordable we would have gone with it. I definitely think it is a good product. There is not much difference between the two except on their compression algorithums. By the way Avamar got bought up by EMC. If it is part of 6.5 we will use it. That is if I am still around.

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
I've actually been eyeing PureDisk for possible deployment, but we're still working on rolling out the kind of disk space that would require. I'm looking for this to probably be implemented in our main sites to pull data from the remote offices, maintain it at the main sites for...I dunno just yet, probably a week or two, and simultaneously replicate everything up to our datacenter to put on tape and maintain as a DR copy. I really like the idea of only transferring the changed bits (as I understand about how the product works...I could be wrong on that), and then I'm hoping to employ NetApps block-level single instancing that comes on their newer filers to really cut down the footprint of the data on the disk.

If I can get this implemented, it definitely won't be before the middle of next year though.

AKopel
Level 6
We played with the product and it DEFINITELY has great potential. We're waiting for better NBU integration which there basically is none now.
I am going to a 'Holiday Brunch' at Symantec headquarters today where they are going to talk about NBU 6.5 so I should find out about this...

AK

AKopel
Level 6
Chad, you are right about the changed bytes... When we tested puredisk it was amazing.
It actually contains a single instance store of every byte.
If you do a full backup from one server (say a Windows server) and then do another full of another similar windows server, we found that the full would only be a Gig or so (because of the single instance) Then each incremental was on the order of Megabytes. Very cool stuff.
The main issues we have right now with the current revision are:
Lack of tight integration with NBU
Very difficult server installation and deployment (makes NBU look easy)
No system state backup for windows (yet). We would have had to script the Systate backup
The reporting is not really good yet.
The restore interface is not very user friendly. (It would be fine for admins, but a little cludge for operators)

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
Aaron, so now for the real mind bender......

If I wanted to try to implement PureDisk for it's byte-based single instancing, and stored it on the newer NetApp filers (most of what we do is on NetApps) which do block-based de-duplication, would they complement each other or just present multiple chances for screwing up my data (algorithm errors, while rare, do happen).

If we could layer this kind of technology, I could pretty easily make the case for shipping our data between sites for DR as opposed to the outside vendor we use today.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Aaron,
It sounds like you are the resident expert on PureDisk. Let us know what else you find out about it being rolled into NetBackup. Thanks.

AKopel
Level 6
OK,
Just got back. NBU 6.5 looks interesting. ALL disk improvements. In terms of Puredisk, there will be a licensed option for a "Puredisk optimized" Storage unit which can also be replicated to other storage units. Not much detail, but, the way I read it, is you 'could' have a Media server at a remote site with a Puredisk optimized storage unit that replicates with another media server at HQ. This storage unit will be able to be backed up to tape also, not sure if it 'stages' to tape though.... But based on my observations, you could get MOST of your retention on disk with the high level of optimization...

pvmayer
Level 2
Employee Accredited
"I have also heard that it will be bundled into the 6.5 release. Can anyone confirm this?"

Hi Bob,

PureDisk will soon be available as a back end storage device for NetBackup, called "NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option".  This separately licensed option will offer you the ability to direct a data stream from a NetBackup Media Server to a disk storage unit that is powered by PureDisk technology.  This will require both NetBackup 6.5, and PureDisk 6.5, which are currently products that are on separate release cycles.

Stumpr2
Level 6
hello Paul,
Obviously you are a symantec employee that was tasked to see if there was any chatter about PureDisk. There has been some. Perhaps Tom should create a separate forum for it.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Please move this thread to the new PureDisk forum

Colonel_Panic
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello Bob,

This is the new PureDisk forum, I am confused by your post?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Paul,
I marked the threads concerning PureDisk for movement from the Netbackup  forum to the PureDisk forum in the hopes of generating conversation.