cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emc san connection - puredisk 6.5 install

terry712
Level 2
hi afraid my linux knowledge isnt great,

the problem i have is when we connect the server to the emc san - cx 320 - with the powerpath's installed and configured - inside yast we see four disks that are the four paths to the disks (2 hba's in server going to 2 switches) represented by /dev/sbc sbd sbe and sbf

we also see /dev/emcpowera which i assume is the one that we want to use and is a representation of this

i wouldnt expect to see this - i would expect just to see /dev/emcpowera

when you look forther along /sbe has a scsi id but none of the others do

yast cannot format the drive

we have modified the filter in the lvm.conf to filter these /sb* out but yast see's them
is this what we should see or ?

5 REPLIES 5

David_Antkowiak
Not applicable
Terry,

Checkout page 50 in the 6.5.02 Storage Pool install manual.

Also, we have played with the DMP settings for this setup and it looks like using a failover mode of 0 on the array will resolved the DMP issue. This is not a Symantec support fix, they state to disable the DMP altogether.

Perform the procedure in this section if the node is attached to external disks.

VxVM does not support multipathing in a PureDisk environment. Depending on

the disks you attached to this node, the system might have enabled multipathing

by default.

The procedure in this section disables multipathing. After you perform the

procedure in this section, conflicts with VxVM are avoided. Perform this

procedure on each node.

Whiter30
Level 2

Can you confirm where you got your information relating to VxVM not supporting Multipathing in a PureDisk environment.  As I have not been able to locate such information in the PureDisk documentation.

Many thanks

banana_john
Level 4

The bit about multipathing not being supported comes from an old version of the storage pool installation guide. They've taken that bit out now, because it was wrong.

For the record, you're not supposed to use powerpath, but Veritas's ASL/APM instead; and so long as you don't disable multipathing, it seems to work a treat. The disks still appear in yast more often than you'd think, though.

Whiter30
Level 2
I guess that is where I am going to have an issue as all Storage frames currently use PowerPath.

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

To my opinion, installation of powerpath on puredisk server is not supported.

PureDisk include Storage Foundation 4.1 MP4 which comes with DMP for multipathing needs.

CX array is the PureDisk HCL (and SF 4.1 MP4).

Have you check if the ASL package is installed "vxddladm listsupport" ?