cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media write error(84)

leejw
Level 2
All..

I have started to receive the above error when backing up a Netbackup Enterprise Client using Pure Disk.

The Ent Client has the Pure Disk agent installed and subsequently backs up to an All-in-One Pure disk appliance at the other side of the WAN using PDDO.

For 2 weeks the job worked fine.  The job selection list covers the C: drive and 3 specific folders on the D: drive.  Total data is about 84GB. 

When we started getting the error I decided to split the job into 4 streams c:, D:\apps, D:\data and D:\users.  The job completes up to the d:\users whereby the child job ends with the above error.

We are running PDOS 6.5.1.2 and Netbackup version 6.5.4

Any help would be appreciated

regards

Lee
3 REPLIES 3

Mike_Moynihan
Not applicable
Look at the fragment size for the PureDisk storage unit.  NetBackup's default fragment size for disk devices is too large for PureDisk.  Chances are you are experiencing the 84's only with backup over 50Bytes.  We eliminated our problems with 84's and optimized synthetics by reducing the fragment size to 50 GBytes (as recommended by Symantec).

..hope that works for you.
Mike

leejw
Level 2
Hi Mike.

We have the fragment size set to 50GB.  Do you reckon it is worth reducing the size to see if this helps the situation?

regards

Lee

Scott_G1
Level 2
This is a known bug with the PDDO option.  I am also a victim of it, but I found a tech note that explains it.

seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319721.htm