cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

urgent: integrating netbackup 6.5 with Puredisk 6.2 for VCB and ESX

sandydee
Level 2
hi all,

i need help immediately so please look into this matter and let me know if you know the solution.

i need to take a VCB backup and it is supported by Netbackup 6.5 but not PD 6.2 and i guess there is some way to make netbackup use PD as the storage pool thereby using its de-dupe capabilities. can some1 pls tell me how to do it or point me in the right direction where i can find the solution.

also is it possible to take the oracle backup through netbackup and utilise PD's de-dupe power with it?

Thanks a lot.
3 REPLIES 3

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee
sandydee -

The ability for NetBackup to use a PureDisk storage pool as a DSU is not yet available.  This will be available with the release of PureDisk 6.5 (so NetBackup 6.5 is essentially waiting for this release).  Because PureDisk can act as a DSU you will be able to send an Oracle backup to your PureDisk DSU.  I can not comment on the effectiveness of dedupe for this type of backup.

If you already have PureDisk, you could backup up Oracle flat files with the PureDisk client and get client-side dedupe (bandwidth reduction), however, your policies would be configured through PureDisk rather than NBU.  I know there are customers doing this today.

How to send NetBackup VCB backups to a PureDisk DSU will be clarified around the release of PureDisk 6.5. 

Finally, PD 6.5 will be available in the very near future.  If you already have PureDisk, contact your sales rep for information that can be shared under an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

Peter

sandydee
Level 2
hey,

Thanks for the reply but i had called up the symantec customer care and i got 2 different answers from them. first time i got this same reply as u just pointed out but the next time i was told that u need an additional license for the puredisk storage option/utility. this license would enable you to take a back up of VCB through netbackup but it will use puredisk node as storage pool and thus will use its de-dupe technology. all this in PD 6.2 itself!

so, m a lil confused Smiley Indifferent

sandy!

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
Peter's response is consistent with the message I've been getting from Symantec for the past year.  6.5, not 6.2

Message Edited by Tom Burrell on 04-09-2008 03:41 PM