cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer appears as not protected

sa2
Level 4
Hi,
I'm new to nss, my client appear to be not protected, I have added location, protection level then within I add a policy with p recreated template on netbackup master server and add a computer and choose the protection level that I have created, but the client still appeared to be not protected and when I log in with user name and password I can't find backup icon only restore is a available
Another question can I allow users to restore files for computers that they own that their backup images was taken by Normal netbackup policy not through nss
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JonHunt
   VIP   

Hi

So as part of the setup you create a template policy in NBU, what the attribuites are of the policy is up to you.

When you create the protection type(s) you associate this with the template policy(s).

In NSS (and logged in as a tenant) you then add a machine into the protection type you have setup. NSS then goes and looks to see if there is an existing policy for that tenant, if there is it add it in, if not it takes a copy of the template and creates a new one - this is the one you can run manually in NBU to create a backup rather than wait for it to run according to the shedule of the template policy you setup..

You don't need to create an Unmanaged Protection level (in NSS) to see a machines backups, these will appear automatically. The use of Unmanaged Protection level is so the status shows as 'Protected' rather than 'Unprotected' and is purely a visual function in NSS.

Have a play and let me know how you get on , it may be easier to jump on a webex with you next week to run through this.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JonHunt
   VIP   

Hi

Until the NBU policy runs the machine will appear as unprotected (status red) as there is no backup. You could try manually running the policy in NBU,  then go to the monitoring tab in the NSS homepage and run a system update (click on cog next to 'System Sync' and select 'Run Now') to pull the catalog image data into NSS. Once there are valid backups and NSS hasseen them your status will go green.

You can restore files from any image, it does not have to be from a policy managed by NSS. Optionally (you don't need to do this to restore files) you can monitor the Computer for avaialble backups using the UnManaged (policy by NSS) protection type.

Let us know how you get on?

Jon

Hi Jon ,
which policy should i try to run it manual ? do you mean that when i configure the client in NBU i create policy for it 
and run it ?

what shoud i add for the polciy template for  protection level policy 

how can i create unmanged policy to see images that were taken by NBU

sorry for the alot of Question as i'm new to it and intersted to know more about it 

JonHunt
   VIP   

Hi

So as part of the setup you create a template policy in NBU, what the attribuites are of the policy is up to you.

When you create the protection type(s) you associate this with the template policy(s).

In NSS (and logged in as a tenant) you then add a machine into the protection type you have setup. NSS then goes and looks to see if there is an existing policy for that tenant, if there is it add it in, if not it takes a copy of the template and creates a new one - this is the one you can run manually in NBU to create a backup rather than wait for it to run according to the shedule of the template policy you setup..

You don't need to create an Unmanaged Protection level (in NSS) to see a machines backups, these will appear automatically. The use of Unmanaged Protection level is so the status shows as 'Protected' rather than 'Unprotected' and is purely a visual function in NSS.

Have a play and let me know how you get on , it may be easier to jump on a webex with you next week to run through this.

Thanks John ,

i was able to create backup now policy and specify the files i need to backup it and it was completed succesffully and catalog was synced and able to see netbackup images for this client , much appreciated

the missing part i can't identify Protection level and policies for schedules backup through NSS 

i do the same step that i do in Backup Now , but policy was not created in netbackup and i didn't under stand the following 

" In NSS (and logged in as a tenant) you then add a machine into the protection type you have setup "

how can i log as tenant , i log as admin , and how can i add machine to protection type ? i do this when first time creating the computer .

Thanks in advance 

JonHunt
   VIP   

Have you created a tenant? (tab on home page of NSS admin)

You log in as a tenant user to perform backup service on the machines (not the NSS admin), might be worth grabbing some time next week with you and running a webex to go through the initial setup, we are working on a user guide so it will help us to understand what needs to be in this. Send me a message with your email details and when you are avaialble next week if you like.

Jon