cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Unable to write to NetBackup Temporary Folder

JonHunt
   VIP   

This error was received when installing NSS

Unable to write to NetBackup Temporary Folder. Check the NetBackup Temporary Folder is correct and the user has sufficent permissions.

Failed to contact Master Server

This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms

as per below

Error12345.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JonHunt
   VIP   

This message indicates you have FIPS security enabled on either a Windows master server or the web server itself.

It is not recommended to use FIPS security as this blocks out other cryptographic algorithms that are perfectly valid.  FIPS should only be enabled in a fully compatible FIPS environment (for government purposes). 

See this very useful article for more info (though the Microsoft article linked in there is no longer valid):

https://www.howtogeek.com/245859/why-you-shouldnt-enable-fips-compliant-encryption-on-windows/

I would recommend following these instructions from that page to disable FIPS (i.e. set Enabled to 0):

To check whether FIPS is enabled or disabled in the registry, follow the following steps:

1. Press Windows Key+R to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type “regedit” into the Run dialog box (without the quotes) and press Enter.
  3. Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy\”.
  4. Look at the “Enabled” value in the right pane. If it’s set to “0”, FIPS mode is disabled. If it’s set to “1”, FIPS mode is enabled. To change the setting, double-click the “Enabled” value and set it to either “0” or “1”.
  5. Restart the computer.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JonHunt
   VIP   

This message indicates you have FIPS security enabled on either a Windows master server or the web server itself.

It is not recommended to use FIPS security as this blocks out other cryptographic algorithms that are perfectly valid.  FIPS should only be enabled in a fully compatible FIPS environment (for government purposes). 

See this very useful article for more info (though the Microsoft article linked in there is no longer valid):

https://www.howtogeek.com/245859/why-you-shouldnt-enable-fips-compliant-encryption-on-windows/

I would recommend following these instructions from that page to disable FIPS (i.e. set Enabled to 0):

To check whether FIPS is enabled or disabled in the registry, follow the following steps:

1. Press Windows Key+R to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type “regedit” into the Run dialog box (without the quotes) and press Enter.
  3. Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy\”.
  4. Look at the “Enabled” value in the right pane. If it’s set to “0”, FIPS mode is disabled. If it’s set to “1”, FIPS mode is enabled. To change the setting, double-click the “Enabled” value and set it to either “0” or “1”.
  5. Restart the computer.