cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSS file restore, can I have an alternative path or client?

TraceyBunyard
Level 5
Employee

When restoring files/folders in NSS, users have an option to restore to an alternative location. If selected, NSS will create a new, unique sub-directory (a combination of 'RestoredFiles-<req#>') in the original directory on the original client where the files/folders will be restored. However, I would like the option to restore the file to an alternative path on the original client and an alternative client/host.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TraceyBunyard
Level 5
Employee

A customization is available that provides extended restore functionality. This is currently available for NSS 7.73, NSS 8.0,NSS 8.1.2, NSS 8.2, NSS 8.3. Check this forum for future versions availability.

For NSS 8.3. please use the updated version of this customization, please see attachment section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS83_201111

For NSS 8.2. please use the NSS 8.2. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download from attachments section below:  NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS82_190911

For NSS 8.1.2. please use the NSS 8.1.2. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download attachments section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS812_190503

For NSS 8.0 and 8.1. please use the NSS 8.0. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download from attachments section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS8_170524 (2)

The NSS 7.7.3. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' is available to downloaded from attachments section below:  NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS773_161204

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TraceyBunyard
Level 5
Employee

A customization is available that provides extended restore functionality. This is currently available for NSS 7.73, NSS 8.0,NSS 8.1.2, NSS 8.2, NSS 8.3. Check this forum for future versions availability.

For NSS 8.3. please use the updated version of this customization, please see attachment section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS83_201111

For NSS 8.2. please use the NSS 8.2. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download from attachments section below:  NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS82_190911

For NSS 8.1.2. please use the NSS 8.1.2. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download attachments section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS812_190503

For NSS 8.0 and 8.1. please use the NSS 8.0. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download from attachments section below: NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS8_170524 (2)

The NSS 7.7.3. 'Alternative File Restore Customization' is available to downloaded from attachments section below:  NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_NSS773_161204

AlChie
Level 4

Greetings!

Thats wonderfull news for me.

Our client needed to make restores to different hosts and clients and now it is here.

Thank you,

----
Best Regards, AlChie

Greetings!

I have tested this option and discovered a bit weird algorithm.

I have tried to restore from one host to another and in Activity Monitor i noticed that the created policy is using not the host machine name of target but the "Computer Code"

So In my case on one of the target hosts I've entered the "Computer Code" = <Some_random_name>

I think this should be noticed somewhere: When you register computer (host) in "Computer code" you should enter the real NBU Client name.

Thank you,

----
Best Regards, AlChie

JonHunt
   VIP   

The 8.0 pack has been tested and can be used for NSS 8.1

Amazing,

Thanks for your help Tracey on this topic, do we also have same customization available to restore VMs to alternate vcenter and with alternate names.

Suppose I have 2 vcenters added to netbackup, from NSS I just see an option to restore VM and overwrite if exists checkbox. Can I also get a customization to choose the vcenter, esx hosts, datastores etc like we get in netbackup to change the destination of restored VM ?

JonHunt
   VIP   

This is possible but would require a consultancy engagement to customise the VM Restore form – timescales dependent on requirements.

Things to consider for such a customisation:

1. How many of the VM properties would be known and filled in by end user?
  2. How many of the VM properties would be fixed (i.e. not entered by users).  For fixed properties of a VM, how do we infer them? Do different tenants/users have different fixed properties for example?

The form would then be configured to capture the relevant properties from the above source/s and submit the restore command.

@TraceyBunyard wrote:

A customization is available that provides extended restore functionality. This is currently available for NSS 7.73 and NSS 8.0, check this forum for future versions availability.

For NSS 8.1 please use the NSS 8.0 'Alternative File Restore Customization' which is available to download from here

https://app.box.com/s/ofn3y5fv0fykolcxm41no0q32fr4920b

The NSS 7.7.3 'Alternative File Restore Customization' is available to downloaded from here

https://app.box.com/s/lgl6dfqbb7ovqr4rhara9n73co58w2co

Hi,

I tried using the suggested customization pack for 8.1.2, but it gives an error when trying to select another computer to restore (please check attachment).
Besides that even if I don't restore to another computer but just restore to another folder, the restore is unable to proceed. So I think that the 8.0/8.1 pack doesn't work properly on 8.1.2.

Is there another pack for version 8.1.2?

Thank you,
Best Regards to all

JonHunt
   VIP   

Hi - let me investigate this and come back to you shortly - thanks Jon

JonHunt
   VIP   

Hi

we aim to issue a new package for this

Jon

JonHunt
   VIP   

New package now available, see Solution above

dipendra
Level 4

@JonHunt @TraceyBunyard 

Do we have same packages for NSS 9.0 & 9.1 please. Currently 9.0 setup doesnt lets me modify the alternate path to provide a custom path for restore

Hi community,

I have exactly the same problem, I want to be able to change the restore path (in process file restore). We have NSS 9.0. I figured out that one could do this by maybe modifying DBRESTFILE in Request Type Maintenance.
Indeed, we can put the input field (Restore path ) in write mode, in roles TAB (by unchecking Read Only).
But despite this, when restoring, it does not apply the value of the path entered :(
Is there a possible solution in the NSS interface, or do we have to go through
NSS_AlternativeFileRestore_Customization_xxx.zip? Iis it compatible with NSS version 9.0?
Thank you very much for your help,

Stephane.