cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 legacy server remova from policyl - Need To Keep Last Full Backup Data For 1 Year (DSU)

EdgarR
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

My apologies if this question / situation has been posted before. 
I have looked everywhere,but I am unable to find  the post.

Issue (RedHat Linux Environment / Netbackup 7.6):
I have a policy with 2 hosts (server A and B).
- Policy is daily imcrementals with full weekend backup
- client B will be decommissioned in a few days
  - Need to keep the last full backup for 1 year
  - physical host will be re-purpose for something else 

Here is what I am planning to do to accomplish above request:
- increase retention period to 1 year on last full backup image  for "client B" using (bpexpdate) command
- stop netbackup on "client B"
- remove hostname "client B" from policy X

My questions are:
- Am I missing anything else
- Is it OK to remove hostname "client B" from the policy
- How do I restore data using the last backup image, if necesary, now that the physical server is gone

Is there anything I am doing wrong where the image backup will become useless?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Ed 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is perfectly fine to remove decommissioned client hostname from the policy.
NBU keeps valid backup info in its catalog and does not need the client name to exist in a policy in order to restore.

To restore, you will select client B as Source Client, and select another client in the environment as Destination Client.

View solution in original post

Krutons
   VIP   

There is no need/way to "flag" the file as archive. As long as the backup policy specified that the retention was 1 year that's all that matters. If the backup didn't have 1 year retention but you want to keep it for 1 year, you would need to manually change the expiration date using bpexpdate.

If your last backup is a final full backup then that is the only backup you would need kept for 1 year. Those incrementals would do you no good.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It is perfectly fine to remove decommissioned client hostname from the policy.
NBU keeps valid backup info in its catalog and does not need the client name to exist in a policy in order to restore.

To restore, you will select client B as Source Client, and select another client in the environment as Destination Client.

Hello Marianne,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

One last few question - just to make sure:

- Do I  need to set any kind of "archive" flag for the image I am extending its retention period of 1 year?
- Do I also need to keep the week's incrementals for a year in order to restore from the full backup?

Again, many thanks for your assistance.

Ed

Krutons
   VIP   

There is no need/way to "flag" the file as archive. As long as the backup policy specified that the retention was 1 year that's all that matters. If the backup didn't have 1 year retention but you want to keep it for 1 year, you would need to manually change the expiration date using bpexpdate.

If your last backup is a final full backup then that is the only backup you would need kept for 1 year. Those incrementals would do you no good.