Did you mean: 

156 ERROR...

pareshrane
Level 3
7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Even though the work is done over the SAN and through vSphere NetBackup does actually do a lookup on the client during the first phase of thebackup attempt so host name resolution is important

I am a little surpirse it gives a 156 error - but I guess as the snapshot is the first thing it does then this is most likely the reason

Create a \netbackup\logs\bpfis\ folder on the VMWare Backup host to capture the bpfis process that does the snapshots and it may make it clearer exactly what it is trying to do

I also remember that an IP address as a VM Display name is not supported

pareshrane
Level 3

Hi

bt my rest of backup`s are running fine with VM Dispaly Name....

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You need to check the bpfis log to get more information why this one fails

Post it on here for us to see

oleg_rebrov
Level 3
Do you have vm tools installed in the vim in question?

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you typing the display name manually or are you selecting the VMs using the browse option.  If you are typing the display name manually.  It is case sensitive, and thus will cause backups to fail with Status 156.  In the bpfis log, it will show "unable to locate VM".  However if you are browsing for virtual machine and selecting the virtual machine.  Then the bpfis log would be helpful in identifying the problem, but also check your virtual center to verify they are no snapshot errors showing up in the recent task and events.

pareshrane
Level 3

m selecting VMs using browse option...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Make sure the VMWare backup host has the \veritas\netbackup\logs\bpfsi\ folder and post the log after the next failure