Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 drive types in a Sun SL48 robot

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Hi,

Yes I know I'm lazy haven't RTFM...

I got a Sun SL48 SCSI library with 2 drives (LTO3) but need one LTO4 as well.
Is it possible to have one LTO3 and one LTO4 in the same library?
Is there functionality in NBU determine 3 or 4?
Will my SL48 handle 2 different types?

My guess is that I would be able to, just wanna check the possibility before i dig into RTFM.

- Roland

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The RTFM will be STK/SUN/Oracle documentation to find out if this robot can take different drive types.
The (bigger) STK robots that I have worked with in the past all did.

When a new robot is added to the robot, the drive then needs to be visibile to the OS. 
NBU sends SCSI-command query via the OS to the drive, and the drive firmware then reponds back, telling the OS and NBU what the drive type is - LTO3/LTO4, firmware level, serial no, etc.

So, no big deal. The drive itself is telling NBU.

If you search this forum for users' examples of 'scan' and 'tpautoconf -t' output, you will see.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The RTFM will be STK/SUN/Oracle documentation to find out if this robot can take different drive types.
The (bigger) STK robots that I have worked with in the past all did.

When a new robot is added to the robot, the drive then needs to be visibile to the OS. 
NBU sends SCSI-command query via the OS to the drive, and the drive firmware then reponds back, telling the OS and NBU what the drive type is - LTO3/LTO4, firmware level, serial no, etc.

So, no big deal. The drive itself is telling NBU.

If you search this forum for users' examples of 'scan' and 'tpautoconf -t' output, you will see.

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Thanks Marianne,

Got confirmation that SL48 will support both drives.
So I just have to get started configuring.

- Roland