cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 types of restores from 1VM with 2 different masters

Cr13
Level 3

Hello,

we are trying to do 2 types of restoration from a VM  from 2 different masters (with bprestore command)
Indeed, we have master01 netbackup dedicated to VM backups and master02 for databases.
The netbackup client has been installed on this VM to manage the backups / restoration of DB Informix by specifying the master02
However, we realize that it is not possible to restore files via VMware backups (since master01).

Is there a way to do this? A Client can be registered on both masters?
Thank you very much for your help :)

Stéphane.

6 REPLIES 6

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Cr13 

Yes this is possible. The second master needs to be included in the clients SERVER list together with any required media servers from that domain. If the client is 8.1 or above, then you will also need to have the client obtain the CA certificate from the second master and a host certificate from that master so it can communicate. 

Cheers
David

Hi David,

CA Certificate are OK.  On Client ./nbcertcmd -displayCACertDetail -server master01 then same cmd with master02 ==> Certificate state = Trusted (and not revoked)

In /usr/openv/netbackup.bp.conf : All Master and Media are present (SERVER =xxxx ...etc)

When i try to list backup file (from vmware backup policy) : ./bplist -S Master01 -C shortnameClient -t 40 -R -l /etc/host => Exit Status 135 : client is not validated to perform the resquest operation

When i try to list backup (from informix DB plicy) : ./bplist -S  Master02 -C fqdnClient  -t 6 -R -l / => It list all backup.

In summary, it doesn't work for Vmware backup from master01  :(

Thx for help me,

Stéphane. 

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Cr13 

This looks like something you should be able to fix. Some questions to understand and maybe guide you to a solution:

1. Which server are you running the bplist from and what user is running the command? (status 135 often indicates the user running the command is not sufficiently authorised).
  2. Is the client name used for the VMware backup the same name as you are using for the bplist command?
  3. Have you run a "bptestbpcd -client <VMclient>" from each master successfully?
  4. On the client can you change the SERVER order in bp.conf to put master01 at the top and try the command again.
  5. On master01, have you tried using the java gui to browse for the VM clients files?  

Cheers
David

Hello David,

1 : i run bplist cmd from Client in root user
2 : Client name is the same used for vmware backup (short name Client)
3 : bptestbpcd  seems to be ok from each master
4: I change order in bp.conf => always "Exit status 135"
5. On master01, in java gui, i can list backup for my Client. When i run same cmd bplist on master01, i've no error.

Thx for your help,

Stéphane.

Hello,

I discovered that by adding in the java console of Master01, in "Security Management" ," Host Management", the short name of the client (Add mapping name), then leaving a time limit for consideration (several minutes / hours? ) We no longer have the problem, and the Client can list backups files from vmware (bplist... -t 40...), without status 135 error.

1: Why or is there a way to make this operation automatable? an auto discovered with the short name?

2: What is the delay for taking modification ? can we modify it?

Thanks for your help :)

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Cr13 

The default behaviour to automatically map the hostnames for the same hostid. This is set in the Global Security settings section. Sometimes though you need to manually map these (there is also a tab on the host management section to approve pending mappings). 

As for the delay - I'm not sure i'm not aware of any setting for this, but it could be related to the default NetBackup hostname cache timeout of 1 hour (3600 secs). This can be changed, but you can also use the "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" command to force this.

Cheers
David