cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit library for Oracle

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

We are in the process of testing writing our RMAN backups directly to our appliance rather than writing them to disk and then using Netbackup to backup those files.  We currently have a 5220 master/media server running 2.6.0.3 and a db client running on a Sparc T4, Solaris 10.  I've installed the Netbackup client and set up the policy, and had the DBA's run the oracle_link script to link Oracle to Netbackup.   

When we run a test backup, we are getting ORA-19554 & ORA-27211 errors.  They are suggesting that the problem is due to the Oracle software being 32 bit and the library file for Netbackup being 64 bit.  We are going to be migrating our Oracle environment to 64 bit in the future, but not any time soon, so I've spent the better part of the day looking for alternatives to allow us to get this to work in our current config or confirmation that it cannot work.  I haven't been able to find anything conclusive either way.  

Is it possible to add a 32 bit version of the library?  I'm assuming that it's not possible, but this is the first time we have considered backing up our Oracle db's this way, so it's new to me.  Any alternate suggestions would be welcome also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately no support for any Oracle version running 32-bit software on Solaris 10 SPARC.

See the compatibility list:  NetBackup 7 Application/Database Agent (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904 

I will be surprised to hear that 32-bit Oracle is still supported by Oracle on Solaris, as Symantec normally supports what the DB and OS vendor supports.

I had a look at older versions of NBU for Oracle manuals - it seems the last version of NBU that had a 32-bit library for Oracle on Solaris SPARC was NBU 6.5 (which ran out of support more than 2 years ago). 

This should be motivation to upgrade to a supported 64-bit Oracle version sooner rather than later.

Backing up to disk is for now all you can do followed by a filesystem backup to NBU, but I can imagine that dedupe rates for these disk backups will be poor.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

_38
Level 3
Employee Accredited

32-bit Oracle on 64 bit Windows 2003 / 2008 is not supported, check TN 139554 for more detail.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139554

Marianne

Unfortunately no support for any Oracle version running 32-bit software on Solaris 10 SPARC.

See the compatibility list:  NetBackup 7 Application/Database Agent (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904 

I will be surprised to hear that 32-bit Oracle is still supported by Oracle on Solaris, as Symantec normally supports what the DB and OS vendor supports.

I had a look at older versions of NBU for Oracle manuals - it seems the last version of NBU that had a 32-bit library for Oracle on Solaris SPARC was NBU 6.5 (which ran out of support more than 2 years ago). 

This should be motivation to upgrade to a supported 64-bit Oracle version sooner rather than later.

Backing up to disk is for now all you can do followed by a filesystem backup to NBU, but I can imagine that dedupe rates for these disk backups will be poor.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

You can try to create a libobk symbolic link under the oracle lib/lib32 folder which points at the netbackup libobk.

Be sure to test both backup & restore if you do this.

Alternatively ask Oracle if it possible to use a 64 bit rman to backup a 32 bit database

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

I do not recommend trying to fit a square peg in a round hole....

If it is not supported, don't do it.

You could possible try to locate NBU 6.5 client software and agent, but all support for 6.x ended more than 2 years ago.

The only way to use NBU agent is with supported 64-bit Oracle.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

We decided to continue backing up the db's using rman to write the data out to files for now.  Thank you for the replies.