cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.0 MP4 Windows Java Timezone Update (US)

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
Workin on updating NBU to the new Timezone change in the US and following the documentation below...

For Solaris, Linux, and Windows systems go to: http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html
a. Under the Installation section, select the link to the Sun Java SE download site
b. On the downloads page, select the JDK US DST Timezone Update Tool - 1.0 from the list to download the update tool
b. You must log in using a valid Sun Online account to download. There is an option to register and create a new account if needed.
c. Once you are logged in, agree to the license. This is required to download the tool.
d. Click on the Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition - US DST timezone tool 1.0.0 to download the tzupdater-1_0_0.zip file
e. Extract the files to a temporary directory on the system, e.g. /tmp/javatz on Solaris and Linux, C:\javatz on Windows.
f. Update the NetBackup implementation of the JRE:
For Solaris and Linux systems:
# cd /usr/openv/java/jre/bin
# ./java -jar /tmp/javatz/tzupdater2006p/tzupdater.jar -u -v
For Windows systems:
% cd \VERITAS\Java\jre\bin
% java -jar C:\javatz\tzupdater2006p\tzupdater.jar -u -v

There is no \VERITAS\Java\jre\bin folder in my install (Windows 2003 SP1 - 6.0 MP4) It looks to me like java is installed in \VERITAS\NetBackupDB\java. Has anyone updated this yet? I'm usually not a stickler for directories etc... but this is a fresh install and either 1) Their documentation is wrong or 2) I don't need to run this update.

-JonathanMessage was edited by:
Jonathan Martin
3 REPLIES 3

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
This may seem like a silly question (endulge me) but do you have the Java console installed for Netbackup as well as the jre environment? The documentation, as I see it, looks to be correct. Try reinstalling the admin console if needed.
My java console is installed like so: F:\VERITAS\java\brnetbackup.vrtsnbuj

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
Another NBU post said simmilar things, that this update only pertained to the NBU Java GUI, which no I do not use. I can't remember disabling this when installing, and I accepted all defaults so the Windows version of NBU must not install this by default? I guess that raises two more questions.

1) Does the java.exe in the NetbackupDB directory not need patching?

2) Would a little clarification have killed the documentor?

Oh, well. Much bigger fish to fry anyhow.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

DavidParker
Level 6
Jonathan,
I just got finished patching the Java Time Zone at my environment and I think I can answer one of your questions:

1) No, the java.exe doesn't need patching; it just needs to update the database file that has the time zone and daylight savings information in it.

2) Yes, a little more clarification would be nice ;)

On a side note, we discovered an annoying typo in the directions for patching the Java for NBU 5.1 on AIX. One of the steps lists a path to enter, but the path listed is incorrect. Took a few minutes to figure that one out!