cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5 vs 7.0, puredisk integration, etc.

Hostasaurus
Level 3

Hi everyone, so I purchased 6.5 about a week before 7.0 came out, and without maintenance (of course) so I'm not eligible for the new software, or so I thought.  I didn't know about 7 coming out until it was too late to just return the purchase and do it over.  So anyway, I'm sitting on a 6.5 license which included puredisk some tape library/media option add-ons and the clients that I've yet to install.  I had also purchased 12 months of support specific to the puredisk component; what on my invoice is described as:

VRTS NETBACKUP PUREDISK 6.5 XPLAT ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS REWARDS BAND D

So, along comes an email "Version Upgrade Notification" with an attachment giving me a new serial number and license key for a product it describes as:

SYMC NETBACKUP DEDUPLICATION OPTION 7.0 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TBYTE STD LIC REWARDS BAND D

If I plug the serial # in the download site, I get offered to download "NetBackup Deduplication Option 7.0", click into that and I get two puredisk 6.6 ISO's and a note "NetBackup PureDisk 6.6 is now being licensed as the NetBackup Deduplication Option 7.0".

What I'm wondering is if PureDisk 6.6 IS netbackup 7.0?  If not, does 6.6 integrate with NetBackup 6.5?  Or do I need to stick with PureDIsk 6.5 if I am going to go forward with the 6.5 install?

And if the answer is no I'm on 6.5 and stuck with it, that leads to the question, is 7.0, when used in a deduplication environment, better to the point that it would be worth buying maintenance to get the upgrade since none of this is installed yet?  Or worth doing because if I ever were to upgrade it would be a nightmare?

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

1. NetBackup 7 works with modified version of PureDisk integrated with Media Server components (Media Server Deduplication Pool) but also with Standard Puredisk 6.6.

2. You can add Puredisk 6.6 storage pool to NB6.5 using PDDO.

3. In NB7 you can:
- setup deduplication which is performed on the client, pddo is integrated with NB client.
- store up to 32TB deduplicated data on single media server