cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.6 LiveUpdate not upgrading clients

Stanleyj
Level 6

I have used LU to update all of my clients since the start of 7.5.  I upgraded today to 7.6.0.1 and I cant seem to get any clients to upgrade.  I have removed all of the 7.5.X LU installs from the directory and I only have 7.6.0.1 files.

The jobs are not erroring out they just run and verify all is good and then they never actually upgrade the clients.  Anyone else using LU with 7.6?  Am i missing something in the IIS directory.

3/14/2014 9:02:14 AM - started process RUNCMD (9508)
3/14/2014 9:02:14 AM - ended process 0 (9508)
3/14/2014 9:02:32 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) Updating LiveUpdate Server location to: http://p190fil04.X.com/liveupdate       
3/14/2014 9:03:02 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) Start of the pack summary file:       
3/14/2014 9:03:02 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) 07/01/13 12:55:10 Installed Symantec NetBackup 7.5.0.6 (7.5 Release Update 0 Maintenance Release 6) (NB_75_0_6_H)
3/14/2014 9:03:02 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) 12/19/13 08:10:53 Installed Symantec NetBackup 7.5.0.7 (7.5 Release Update 0 Maintenance Release 7)
3/14/2014 9:03:02 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) End of the pack summary file:       
3/14/2014 9:03:02 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=4736) EXIT STATUS 0          
the requested operation was successfully completed(0)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stanleyj
Level 6

After pushing forward with updating what i could with LU I never really figured out what was going on other than some clients just didnt want to upgrade.  I was able to successfully upgraded 32 and 64 bit machines so that was not the issue. 

I manually upgraded all the ones that would not thru LU so I guess I will wait until the next upgrade to see if they are stil having issues.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Interesting that the logs says it has installed 7.5.0.6 and 7.5.0.7 with no mention of 7.6.0.1!

Do you only have clients in your LU policy? Just wondering if you have any servers which will stop it working as major updates cannot go out to servers.

Stanleyj
Level 6

The log i posted is from a windows 7 machine but its the only one I have.  All others are servers.  2003, 2008, 2008 r2, 2012, and 2012 r2.

The documentation says you should be able to go from 7.1, 7.5 to 7.6 but i wonder if like you said a major code change cant be done thru LU.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It can be done for clients but not for servers (Master or Media Servers) - I was wondering if you had any media servers in your policy which may stop it working - if so remove them from the policy and see if the clients will upgrade

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Do you have a directory on the client <INSTALL_DIR>\NetBackup\log\liveupdate or  <INSTALL_DIR>\NetBackup\log\nbliveup? If you do not have it you may need to create them then run the live update and check the logs in there.

Stanleyj
Level 6

I realized that i might not have completly extracted all of the zip files in the IIS directory.  So i did that and now im getting this error in the details of the job.

Error nbliveup(pid=2980) Error executing "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE" -s -h "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\LiveUpdateHost.hst", stopping update

Any ideas?

Stanleyj
Level 6

Was able to get past the executing error because it appears that somehow my webconfig file got deleted and lost the .flg MIME type that needed to be added.  But now im back to everything checks out and there is nothing to upgrade.

In the live update log i see alot of files not found but I see those same entries when liveupdate was working. 

I also can see in the logs where some zip file are being extracted but there the 7.5 files that were included in the LU 7.6.0.1 download.

UNZIP_FILE_START: Zip File: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\symantec$20netbackup$20x64$20windows_7.5_english_livetri.zip", Dest Folder: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520"
Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_PROGRESS: Extracting file: "liveupdt.grd"
> Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_PROGRESS: Extracting file: "liveupdt.sig"
> Progress Update: SECURITY_SIGNATURE_MATCHED: GuardFile: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\liveupdt.grd"
> Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_FINISH: Zip File: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\symantec$20netbackup$20x64$20windows_7.5_english_livetri.zip", Dest Folder: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520", HR: 0x0       
> Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_START: Zip File: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\symantec$20netbackup$20x64$20windows_7.5_english_livetri.zip", Dest Folder: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520"
> Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_PROGRESS: Extracting file: "liveupdt.tri"
> Progress Update: UNZIP_FILE_FINISH: Zip File: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\symantec$20netbackup$20x64$20windows_7.5_english_livetri.zip", Dest Folder: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520", HR: 0x0       
> Progress Update: SECURITY_PACKAGE_TRUSTED: "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\Tri520\liveupdt.tri"

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Could you attach the complete job details along with the logs. You can also walk through your complete IIS setup once again to verify if nothing else is causing the issue. Another suggestion would be to use an alternate server as a live update server, and then configure Live Update following the steps mentioned in the below technote. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211022

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Could you attach the complete job details along with the logs. You can also walk through your complete IIS setup once again to verify if nothing else is causing the issue. Another suggestion would be to use an alternate server as a live update server, and then configure Live Update following the steps mentioned in the below technote. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH211022

Stanleyj
Level 6

I believe that IIS is setup properly and Im starting to think its either a client side issue or the LU packages.

I send out the upgrade to about 20 clients and only the 32bit clients upgraded.  All of the 64bit clients said no upgrade available even though I have the 64bit LU package in the directory just like the 32.

Im getting closer.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Is ur live update server 32 bit by any chance.? I think i had read somewhere that u cannot update a 64 bit machine from a 32 bit machine.. The other way round works perfectly but lower to higher is not possible

Stanleyj
Level 6

After pushing forward with updating what i could with LU I never really figured out what was going on other than some clients just didnt want to upgrade.  I was able to successfully upgraded 32 and 64 bit machines so that was not the issue. 

I manually upgraded all the ones that would not thru LU so I guess I will wait until the next upgrade to see if they are stil having issues.