cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.7.3 / 2.7.3 is out...

D_Flood
Level 6

Only place I can find it is full version downloads (no patches) inside the Licensing Portal. 

Oh and for people accessing the Licensing Portal via Windows they've changed from a Java download manager to some third party software that has to be installed on the downloading system (and it can't download to UNC names, only local and mapped drives).

From the Tech Alerts it looks like they've already found at least one significant bug in the way some things are logged.

Also, make sure you read and re-read the Release Notes.  Not only is Phone Home (Customer Telemetry) now mandatory, there are some forward looking statements about 8.0 that will make it less Admin Friendly when it comes to using any kind of scripting.

12 REPLIES 12

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks. There are no more patches, its always full install downloads.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If telemetry is mandatory, I hope they have made an on premise option for us working in secure systems, so we don't have to sit and wait forever on it. Or even worse that we can't upgrade because it can't reach the internet.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

CB_NBU
Level 3

to addon,

any commandline stuff will need to be prefaced with a bpnbat -login to authenticate the session before being able to run commands (eg bpimagelist, etc)

there is mention that bp.kill_all, bpdown, bpclusterkill will be removed/decomissioned as an option in an upcoming release.

and as previously mentioned, phone home is always enabled.

LiveUpdate util has had reports of not installing when using the automated installer as well as a heads up.. definitely a few things to keep an eye out on this release.

EDIT: 

for trial download you can get it here:

https://www.veritas.com/content/trial/en/us/netbackup-7-7-1.html

D_Flood
Level 6

Great...the bpnbat stuff will break 100% of my scripts.

Is that change documented in the Security manual since it isn't in the Release Notes?

CB_NBU
Level 3

thought it was mentioned in the release notes, will have to see where i read that.

D_Flood
Level 6

A quick Adobe doesn't get any hits in either the Upgrade Guide or Release Notes.

There are footnotes in the Command Guide that say if you're using NetBackup Access Management you'll need it but I'm (luckily) not using that (or haven't intentionally turned it on).

Of course I'm still on 7.6.1.2 also so the upgrade to 7.7 might turn it on for me..

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Remove bpdown??? How should one stop netbackup, with a prayer?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
You can still disable telemetry. The docs are wrong. This I was told by the nbu product manager. A new version of the docs and a tech note will be out in a week or two.

D_Flood
Level 6

The rest of the note about BPDOWN says they'll publish the steps needed to shut things down.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that since BPDOWN keeps going even if it can't shut down an individual service/function, that's caused issues in the past.  So now it will be a manual process of "make sure this has stopped before doing the next step"...either that or some sort of GUI that excludes those of us who still use scripting..

Matt123
Level 3

It says "A new, fully documented command for shutting down NetBackup processes and daemons will be provided in an upcoming release." on page 16.

Marc_LHeureux
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I've put 7.7.3 in my lab and the bpnbat -login is not required for shell scripts.  Bear in mind that if you're not root, privelidged commands will still say you must be superuser to execute.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Whew, thanks for that!