cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.0 : NetBackup Web Management Console service

Kenny_747
Level 3

Upgraded one of my environments from 7.5.7 to 8.0 - no significant issues, backups and restores are working like they should.

This server is a combined media/master and is running windows 2008 R2

The Java console seems to be running fine, but i receive the attached error everytime i go into the java console.  

During the 8.0 install, you had to create a new local user (nbwebsvc) for the "web mangement console", which i did, and the service does actually start without error.  But when you connect with the java console, it stops within a few seconds, and the event log is pretty generic.

Any ideas ?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Windows firewall blocking it perhaps?

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Nothing blocking it - the service stops after ~10 seconds of running.  No error in the event logs, just the generic service stopped message

Sajal
Level 3

Can you check if the web mgmt console service is using a localuser nbwebsvc as log on as.If yes, please check below steps and see if it helps:-

#If PBX is running in secure mode, add the user nbwebsvc in the PBX authorized users' list. Otherwise, the web server fails to listen on the PBX port and PBX registration from the web server fails.

pbxcfg -a -u <user name> and restart the PBX service

#Restart the PBX service.

#Verify that the new user was added to the pbx authenticated user list.

pbxcfg -p

#Stop the NetBackup Web Management Console Service

#Verify that the nbwmc service is no longer running, as follows:

#Use the bpsetconfig command to update the WEBSVC_GROUP and WEBSVC_USER properties, as follows:

bpsetconfig > WEBSVC_GROUP = groupname
bpsetconfig > WEBSVC_USER = username

#Start the NetBackup Web Management Console Service

Above steps are mention in technote https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000116317

-Sajal

Thanks for the reply - i went through the steps on the technote, same result - the service will start fine, and then shutdown after ~10 seconds.

I'm confused as to what this component, "Web Management Console" is - there really isn't much noted in the admin guide, the java console and all the backup/restore jobs work fine..  Can anyone shed some light on this?

I also cleared out the wmc log directory, and started the service - the logs are attached in case someone want to see - it mentions an access error, but after performing the install steps and verifing with the tech note, not sure what my next play is.

thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If everything else is working fine, then probably nothing to be concerned about?

Looking at posts by Veritas employee @vtas_chas in this discussion:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/NetBackup-8-0-are-we-really-ready-for-WMC/m-p/822871
It seems that there is no real purpose for this service. At least not yet.

The Java console shouldn't be reporting that it can't connect, if it's still doing that.  While there aren't externally usable connections to the service for API driven purposes, something isn't working right here.  

I would still open a ticket if nothing you've tried is working and you're still getting the error in the Java console.  You don't want to have a new release come out and things stop working because there is now a backup flow dependency on that connection, which will happen.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances