cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(96) unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

asepyuliyana
Level 2

Hi All,

I have issue about backup, when I try to running backup always successfull, but when the tape is full te session be failed,and when i try to add new tape it stiil failed.

(96) unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

Detailed Status:

Error nbjm (pid=23609) NBU status: 96, EMM status: No media is available
unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available  (96)

please advice,

Thanks,

Asep. Y

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

asepyuliyana
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

thank you for your reply, I have solved my issue, the issue come from my Tape Server DL500,

my tape was not found (hidden) in row1-colomn1, so I change the location to another slot.

Thanks,
Asep. Y

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you writing on library or standalone?

If its library do you have enough tapes in it, make sure the tapes are assigned to right pool. If tapes are in the pool make sure those are not freezed. Also make sure you are using the right STU while backing up.

asepyuliyana
Level 2

Hi sazz,

thanks for your reply,

Iam writing on library media volume pool, and I have new tape in it and was assigned to the right pool.

how to check the tape is not freez?

and what is STU? Iam new in netbackup

Thanks,,

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to ensure that there is enough media in the library before backup starts.

You can use available_media script in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies.

To check if tape is frozen or perhaps other reason for unavailability, run this command:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>
(command is in  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd)

Please post output of command - we will help to check and interpret output.

A good link to bookmark is the status 96 troubleshooting wizard: 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid...

asepyuliyana
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

thank you for your reply, I have solved my issue, the issue come from my Tape Server DL500,

my tape was not found (hidden) in row1-colomn1, so I change the location to another slot.

Thanks,
Asep. Y

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The commands in my post above would tell you that NBU had no knowledge of this tape.

If your tape library has a MAP (Media Access Port) you should rather use that to insert new media. This will ensure that media is automatically inserted into correct slots.