cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about multiple data streams

sunlover
Level 3

Hi,

We have selected "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" on the Backup Selections for all policies. It is said that multiple data streams is preferable for ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive. To test this feature, I have enabled multiple data streams using the following steps:

(1) On the master server, set "Maximum jobs per client" to 3 for three local drives of each client.
(2) On the storage unit, set "Maximum concurrent jobs" to 12 for four clients writing to the unit simultaneously.
(3) On the policy's Attributes, check "Allow multiple data streams".

After a full backup was initiated, 14 processes were triggered. Each process works for one local drive since there are 14 drives on this specific client. My question: Why were 14 processes started when "Maximum jobs per client" set to 3 on the master server?

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

sunlover
Level 3

One process is for Shadow Copy Components:\

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

thats ok when only 3 jobs are active and 11 are queued. Are they?

Regards

You are right, then it makes sense. I missed it. Thanks!

I am running another test now.

There is a new issue: Local drive V:\ is a swap drive which is included into the Exclude Lists of the client. However, the full backup still assigned it a process which was finally failed with exit code 90 - (90) media manager received no data for backup image. How can I prevent this from occurring?

Thank you!

Changed "Limit jobs per policy" from 2 to 9 and trying a full backup again.

This doesn't make lots of sense: "If this attribute (Note: multiple data streams) is enabled, and a file system is in a client's exclude list, a NetBackup job appears in the Activity Monitor for the excluded file system. However, no files in the excluded file system are backed up by the job." -- Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume I

This useless job will result in an error (90) and the error will be sent by OpsCenter to ServiceDesk to create a support ticket. To reconcile the contradiction I have to add 90 to the "Exit Status to Exclude" of the OpsCenter alert.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

In Netbackup any exclude list is processed after the bpmount (you can run the command by hand) process has found what drives exist

If you want to avoid a stream for the V drive you can either:

• specify the dives manual - this may be dangeours if drives are added later without you know it.
  • You specify a filepath/folder that exist on all other drives than on V e.g. *:\data\*

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Add an asterix to the path in Exclude List as per this TN:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH125205