cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NetBackup Service Layer service.

issmag
Level 5

hi,

frequently i get the message in the eventviewer (A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NetBackup Service Layer service). when i verfy, i found no backups turn on the Master (the backups run from a scheduler. there is really a while betewen jobs launched from TWS and the Master.

for example, the Jobs are launched at 07:00, but come to master at 09:00...

please find ini the attache the nbsl log.

could you tell me what i  have to do please  ?

The master is : windows 2008 R2, Netbackup version : Entreprise 7.5.0.5.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You either have serious network/comms issues in your environment or the master server is lacking resources (memory/cpu) during peak backup hours or even a combination of both. I cannot see that we will be able to solve your issues on this forum. Best to patch your master server to recommend version and then reopen your Support call. They should ask for nbsu output and also supply a network test utility. You should then be able to find the reason for issues seen on your master server.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

Apologies for my ignorance - what is TWS?

And which servers/systems have these IP addresses? 10.10.128.137 and 10.10.128.138

peerAddr 10.10.128.137 is not a NetBackup Server
peerAddr 10.10.128.138 is not a NetBackup Server

oh - and another one:

peerAddr 10.10.128.136 is not a NetBackup Server

Are there multiple NICs on the master server?

Using vxlogview to view the log will give a lot more info that the 'raw' log file.
e.g.
vxlogview -o 132 -t :00:20:00

will give us log info for the last 20 minutes.

issmag
Level 5

hello marianne,

tws = Tivoli Workload Scheduler (http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/fr/tivoworksche)

thoese adresses 10.10.128.137 and 10.10.128.138 are a clients adressess.

please find in the attach the vxlog

Marianne

Are you having comms issues with client(s) and/or media server(s)?

I am not at all familiar with nbsl logs or what to make of errors like these:

07/11/2014 16:58:14.706 [ExceptionManager::fillExceptionObject()] Error:CloudQFImpl::getCloudConfigBlob():../CloudQFImpl.cpp(401): errNo:398 localizedStr:Failed to contact the server additionalStr:Failed to contact the server(ExceptionManager.cpp:94)
07/11/2014 16:58:14.909 [NBUErrorTranslator::getErrorDetails()] NB error code: 228 NB localized Error text: unable to process request(NBUErrorTranslator.cpp:47)
07/11/2014 16:58:14.909 [ExceptionManager::fillExceptionObject()] Error:CloudQFImpl::getCloudConfigBlob():../CloudQFImpl.cpp(407): errNo:228 localizedStr:unable to process request additionalStr:(ExceptionManager.cpp:94)

and

07/11/2014 17:13:44.965 [NBUErrorTranslator::getErrorDetails()] NB error code: 25 NB localized Error text: cannot connect on socket(NBUErrorTranslator.cpp:47)
07/11/2014 17:13:44.965 [ExceptionManager::fillExceptionObject()] Error:ClientQueryFacetImpl::populateOutput():#13:../ClientQueryFacetImpl.cpp(143): errNo:25 localizedStr:cannot connect on socket additionalStr:(ExceptionManager.cpp:94)
07/11/2014 17:13:44.965 [CORBAExceptionTranslator::getErrorDetails()] Exception name:NBSLOpException(CORBAExceptionTranslator.cpp:46)
07/11/2014 17:13:44.965 [CORBAExceptionTranslator::getErrorDetails()] Rethrowing NBSLOpException exception(CORBAExceptionTranslator.cpp:84)
07/11/2014 17:13:44.965 [AsyncCollector_T::handle_input] Caught a CORBA exception while loopinguser exception, ID 'IDL:Symantec/NetBackup/SL/NBSLOpException:1.0'(d:\nb\nb_7.5.0.5\src\nb\nbsl\server\infrastructure\BH_AsyncCollector.cpp:81)
07/11/2014 17:13:45.340 [NBUErrorTranslator::getErrorDetails()] NB error code: 48 NB localized Error text: client hostname could not be found(NBUErrorTranslator.cpp:47)
07/11/2014 17:13:45.340 [ExceptionManager::fillExceptionObject()] Error:ClientQueryFacetImpl::populateOutput():#13:../ClientQueryFacetImpl.cpp(143): errNo:48 localizedStr:client hostname could not be found additionalStr:(ExceptionManager.cpp:94)

Hopefully a Symantec engineer will be along soon to help!

issmag
Level 5

thanks for your reply Marianne, i opened a call at Symantec. they said,, we have to upgrade the master to 7.5.0.6....

i have another remark, i find that the system Policies (Standard and MS-WIndows and VMware), pass without any errors..  but, SQL and ORACLE, hung active, but no data is written !!

it's very strrange for me, i don't know what to do !!

help plz

Marianne
Thanks for this info! Comms issues indeed. Comms for database backup is different. The client needs to initiate connection to the master server with backup request. This does not happen for OS backups. Ensure that forward and reverse name lookup works fine between master and client. You can use bpclntcmd to test. So, the name that is resolved on the client with 'bpclntcmd -self' must be the same name in the policy and must the same name when master resolves incoming client IP addres to hostname. Use bpclntcmd -ip client-IP-address on the master to check. If we look in nbsl log above it seems master cannot resolve client IP addresses to hostname. Check that reverse lookup is enabled in DNS or add hosts entries on client and master. Also verify that port 1556 is open in both directions between master and client.

issmag
Level 5

ok, thanks a lot Marianne for your reply.. i have another remark again,

i find from last night, that the Netbackup device manager service stop frequentlly, with the error  :

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NetBackup Job Manager service.

Marianne
You either have serious network/comms issues in your environment or the master server is lacking resources (memory/cpu) during peak backup hours or even a combination of both. I cannot see that we will be able to solve your issues on this forum. Best to patch your master server to recommend version and then reopen your Support call. They should ask for nbsu output and also supply a network test utility. You should then be able to find the reason for issues seen on your master server.

issmag
Level 5

hello Marianne,

thanks a lot for your help and support, yes the issue has been solved by installing the 7.5.0.6 patch, now, the backups pass very very quick, much better than before when there was no problem.

thanks you very much