cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACL permissions status when restore on different OS

Pinku
Level 5

Hello Team,

1)) We have a win 2003 client backup on tape with NB version 6.5. We restore this data in same domain on same client. ACL permissions are restored without any issue.

2) We brought this tape to a new domain where nbu version is 7.6.0.4 and operating system is Win 2012. We import the tape and restored data:

a) On UNC path of win 2012 server - ACL permissions were not restored
b) On local drive of win 2012 server - ACL permissions were not restored.

3) In 7.6.0.4 netbackup, if I try to restore a data from same domain client, it restores the ACL permissions without any issue.

My question is is this behavior so, because we have different operating systems? Has anyone encountered this issue...Or any expert comments.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies for not responding sooner...

I think that question can best be answered by the customer.

IMHO - yes. That will cause an issue.
ACLS (to my knowledge) can only be restored within the same domain.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
This is not because of different OS but because of different AD domain. ACLs can only be restored to same AD domain.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Cross OS restore are normal supported. I a not Windows expert - but I know one - SDO. Will ask him to take a look. But I expect file permission schema have changed between 2003 and 2008

I found this blog regarding moving share permissions:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2014/11/05/migrating-file-server-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Pinku
Level 5

Thanks for replying.

@Marianne: I am checking on the domains with client. In case if they have two different domains, do they belong to same forest....I'll update this in a while

@Nicolai: thanks for the forum, I beleive that could be the issue, if we get the answer for Marianne's doubt regarding the domains.

Marianne

Was this option in the 'Restore Options'-section selected or de-selected?

"Restore without access control attributes (Windows clients only)."

Pinku
Level 5

I've got some response from client. These are 2 separate domains but they are trusted and in sync. Could this be an issue?

And that option "Restore without access control attributes (Windows clients only)." was de-selected when restore was initiated.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I'm no expert - maybe one day...

...I've not heard of such a problem as this before, but then I've not personally tested for it either.

My random complete guesses are:

1) Maybe one of the tests actually restored to a FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 or exFAT file system and so the ACL/ACE entrioes were stripped off.

2) For the restore to an NTFS file system, maybe the NTFS structures and version of the old source original NTFS file system of the old original Windows 2003 server is incompatible with the NTFS structures of the new target NTFS version of the target NTFS structures.   You can confirm NTFS version of a volume drive letter using:

> fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:

...and look for the NTFS version.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I think if one "restore without control attributes" then the original ACL/ACE are dropped, and so any local file system inheritance will take place.

Pinku
Level 5

that option "Restore without access control attributes (Windows clients only)." was delected while restore...

May I ask if the 2 AD domains do not belong to same forest will cause this issue?

Marianne

Apologies for not responding sooner...

I think that question can best be answered by the customer.

IMHO - yes. That will cause an issue.
ACLS (to my knowledge) can only be restored within the same domain.

Pinku
Level 5

Thanks everyone, appreciate your help....we tested the same in-house and the conclusion is we can restore ACLs in same domain, not in any other domain....