cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AD Granular Restore greyed out on restore

UoR
Level 2

Hi,

Netbackup 7.0 Server/Clients, Solaris 10 Media Server. We'll be upgrading to 7.1 next month.

In my test AD domain, which has a single Windows 2003R2SP2 DC, ADGR works perfectly. I can select any AD object and restore it, which is great.

I then began deployment of this to my live AD domain, which is made up of many DCs (including RODCs). All of the DCs bar one are Windows 2008R2; the other is 2003R2SP2. As you can see from the attachment, the backup is successful but all restore options are greyed out.

Can anyone point me towards possible solutions? The service is running as domain admin, Client for NFS is installed. I've tried backing up both a 2003 and 2008 DC and the result is exactly the same - greyed out restore options. Note that the restore attempt was performed from the DC as domain admin.

Do I need to run my backup policy on ALL DCs? I guess that would explain why it works on my test domain with a single DC!

Thank you for your time.

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are all of these backups on disk? they need to be for GRT restores

Also, if you select a sub item can you select anything inside it?

I have also seen an issue with Exchange GRT backups where the ability to restore individual items is lost after they have been duplicated - presumably this is a bug

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

What Netbackup version on windows client ?

not sure is this exactly applicable in your case but,

For GRT AD/Exchange there are few issues with version 7.0 & hence few months back Symantec support suggested me to upgrade 7.0.3 on master & client

UoR
Level 2

Hi,

Server and Clients are all 7.0.0 across our site. We're about to go to 7.1.0 next month.

Backups are indeed to disk, sorry I forgot to mention that.

If I select a sub-item I can't do anything. In fact, the only box I can tick is the very top one which then ticks everything. The screenshot I attached is of a fully opened selection.

The same media server works fine backing up our test domain of a single DC, which is why I wondered if I have to back up ALL DCs with my granular restore policy?

watsons
Level 6

Look very much like this bug in NB7.0.x : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135253

Patch to NB7.1 to get it resolved.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not 100% sure on that - depends how you read the admin guide but you may well be right that you at least need NBU and NFS installing on them all.

Quick check of what is required just to make sure:

Same versions on Master, Media and Client

NetBackup Client service running as domain admin account on DCs

NetBackup Legacy Client Service running as domain admin on DCs

NFS installed all round as required

Supports 2003 R2 SP2, 2008, 2008R2

AD GRT selected in policy attributes tab

Hope this helps

#edit# that hotfix above looks like a possible

Stanleyj
Level 6

if you dont mind can you explain to me how you have your AD backups configured.  I want to see if im doing my correctly.  So far all i have configured are system state backups but we have never attempted to do a recovery of our domain so im not sure if this is enough or not.  Thanks.   

UoR
Level 2

Hi Chaps,

Lots of good suggestions there thanks, although it is odd that 7.0.0 works fine for my test domain. As for the specific questions:

* Same versions on Master, Media and Client?

Yes, all are definitely 7.0.0.

* NetBackup Client service running as domain admin account on DCs

Yes, I made a new account called "netbackup" and made it member of domain admins.

* NetBackup Legacy Client Service running as domain admin on DCs

Ah, now that's a good question. I can't honestly say I've ever noticed this service. I'll investigate right now.

* NFS installed all round as required

Yes, NFS client, portmaper and services for NFS admin are installed on all.

* Supports 2003 R2 SP2, 2008, 2008R2

Yes, our lowest DC is 2003R2SP2

* AD GRT selected in policy attributes tab

Yes, definitely.

As I said, it works so well on my test domain that I gathered the boys around to have a look. I can delete users and restore them and all is great. Not so on the live domain though, but that has getting on 10 DCs...

I'll read up on that hotfix now too, thanks.