cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIR (Auto Image Replication) -- Information Required

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What my understanding is for AIR, suppose we have two Netbackup Server (means two different production Netbackup environment with different names of Netbackup).

Both sites have Netbackup Servers have MSDP configured. What AIR does,

- it replicate the Primary Site MSDP backup images with the secondary site Netbackup MSDP.

- Send primary site Catalog (Catalog that contains the MSDP backup images information) to secondary site Netbackup Master Server and the same Catalog will import to the Netbackup Master Server of secondary site.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

AIR replciates you backup images from one site to another site (from the MSDP pool to the other MSDP pool) using optimised duplication (so it just send delta de-dupe changes)

One the whole backup images arrives at the other site the image is then automatically imported into that site and so populates the catalog on the remote site with that backup.

In this way the original backups is available in the BAR GUI on both sites ready for immediate restore

It is not for replicating the catalog - just for replicating the backups themselves

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

Of course it can go in both directions, even one to many or many to one

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

AIR replciates you backup images from one site to another site (from the MSDP pool to the other MSDP pool) using optimised duplication (so it just send delta de-dupe changes)

One the whole backup images arrives at the other site the image is then automatically imported into that site and so populates the catalog on the remote site with that backup.

In this way the original backups is available in the BAR GUI on both sites ready for immediate restore

It is not for replicating the catalog - just for replicating the backups themselves

Hope this helps

#EDIT#

Of course it can go in both directions, even one to many or many to one

huanglao2002
Level 6

Yes ,you are right.

If you want to how AIR work,you can build a test environment.

how master server run on the virtualbox/vmware , the replication between two backup domain.

please reference the netbackup deduplicate guide and netbackup administrator guide for detail

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks guys:

Now what I understood is that:

1.) Backup images can replicate between both directions, means if any changes occured in any site's MSDP it will get replicate to other site's MSDP as well.

2.) Suppose as whole backup images arrived from SiteA to SiteB MSDP then images are automatically imported into that SiteB, after that populates the catalog at SiteB.

===========================

Please authenticate my below example is correct ? :

Primary Site                                                                Secondary Site

Master/Media Server (Hostname NewYork)                      Master/Media Server (Hostname UAE)

MSDP configured                                                          MSDP configured

Changes ====>

<==== Changes

Images Imported                                                           Images Imported

Catalog populated                                                         Catalog populated 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure what you mean by 'changes'....

Replication and import must be configured via SLP's

See AIR FAQ: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154323 

Zahid_Haseeb

Not sure what you mean by 'changes'....

Means suppose MSDP is configured between both sites(as per my above example) and an incremental backup policy reiggered at SiteA and finished successfully, that change(incremental backup image) at SiteA will then replicate to SiteB plus populates the catalog at SiteB  (vice versa)

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Only if the backup, replication and import is configured as SLP's on both masters.

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks all for kind views.

aly_farouk
Level 4

Hi there...

I was going to open a new topic related to the AIR...but i think i should continue on this topic to make it a reference...

I have Two Netbackup Domains...both are the same

Each site has a clustered master server of netbackup 7.5.0.5 running on windows 2008 R2 enterprise edition...with media serevr 1 attched to DDBOOST of DD860...

The question is...Can AIR be implemented in my environment?? if so...any detailed documents or technotes about that??

Thanks in advance...

Zahid_Haseeb

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO67459