Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIR, MSDP and Deduplication

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Hello

I have configured 2 netbackup domains, and two servers which contain MSDP disk pools.  I am using AIR with SLP to cross-site duplicate backups.  The SLPs go from MSDP stu on one server to the MSDP stu on the remote server. 

On the import of a backup on the remote backup server, the import does not appear to dedup the data - therefore we dont seem to take advantage of deduplication which MSDP is supposed to offer.  I am seeing 0% dedup when i look at the import job.

Am i correct in saying this is an error or is it by design?

Many thanks

FujSol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Import job does not deal in backup data.

Data segments are replicated to remote storage server in Replication jobs. And in Import jobs, NetBackup reads  catalog information that was placed on destination storage server in Replication jobs.

I think, unlike data segments,  these pieces of catalog information are transferred as they are, so dedup ratio will be 0%.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Import job does not deal in backup data.

Data segments are replicated to remote storage server in Replication jobs. And in Import jobs, NetBackup reads  catalog information that was placed on destination storage server in Replication jobs.

I think, unlike data segments,  these pieces of catalog information are transferred as they are, so dedup ratio will be 0%.

FujSOL
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Yasuhisa

That makes sense now. On the basis of your reply - i have been able to investigate an issue we have with VM snapshot backups which when using the Exclude Block option is still backing up 400Gb worth of data when the actual data present on a VM is about 100Gb. 

FujSol