Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX LPAR Media Server Performance

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Guys,

I am looking for performance statistics for AIX lpar as a media server, we have windows physical server which has good throughput for backups but AIX lpar media server is too slow. I check netstat -v en0 and found Adapter rate is 20000 which indicates 20gb pipe right, However I am aware it is inherited from the parent the actual hardware and it is being used by many lpars. So is there any guidelines to tune or to check AIX lpar as Netbackup media server performance?

Thanks

Sid

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Bad AIX LPAR performance has in my shop always been down to the VIOS server having to little resources.

Ask the AIX admin to look at the VIOS server.

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In general I would recommend to give a media server dedicated I/O cards in the configuration done on the HMC.

Besides that I have seen improvement on AIX LPAR net cards if you disable the TCP offload in the LPAR, the double emulation seems to make the throughput more unstable.

What is the weight of your media server versus the other LPARs on the host ?

Also the hash metode on the VIOS etherchannel can influence the total troughput between the VIOS and the network switch

Run vioadvisor on the VIOSes while the backup running, it might help indicate the problem

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi Sid,

Not seen any documents on LPAR performance as a media server. What made you choose AIX over other Operating Systems for your media server?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Bad AIX LPAR performance has in my shop always been down to the VIOS server having to little resources.

Ask the AIX admin to look at the VIOS server.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In general I would recommend to give a media server dedicated I/O cards in the configuration done on the HMC.

Besides that I have seen improvement on AIX LPAR net cards if you disable the TCP offload in the LPAR, the double emulation seems to make the throughput more unstable.

What is the weight of your media server versus the other LPARs on the host ?

Also the hash metode on the VIOS etherchannel can influence the total troughput between the VIOS and the network switch

Run vioadvisor on the VIOSes while the backup running, it might help indicate the problem

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Revarooo, Nicolai, Michael for your inputs,

What made me choose AIX is because most of my clients are AIX Lpars running SAP on them. And these SAP policies give worst throughput for few clients and for few it is good. I just changed the storage unit for one of the schedule to go to Physical Media server(windows) and it run good. I will ask AIX admin to run vioadvisor and will look for tcp offload parameter.

The issue is i have very less confidence on my AIX admin, I am more of like on my own on this So wanted experts suggestion from OS perspective because there is nothing Netbackup can do in this.

So any suggestion would be very useful

Thanks

Sid

MKoeppl
Level 1

Hello Sid,

we have the same problem. Did you solve your performance issues or are you still in trouble. If you have any information which can help me it would be great.

Thanks

Michael