cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT and Vaulting

Lee_C
Level 5

Will Vaulting still work if  AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT is added into vm.conf or will the tapes moved to the MAP get injected back in again?

HP Proliant DL380 G7 with SAS connected HP MSL 2024 Library with HP LTO4 drive

Master/Media - Netbackup 7.1.0.1

OS Windows 2008 x64

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

You either:

- remove the media from the MAP & select yes (or whatever), OR

- say no & then go remove the media (or not as the case may be!)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Will_Restore
Level 6

AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT kicks in when the MAP is opened and closed so the only problem I could see would be if tapes were ejected and then someone opened and closed the MAP without removing the tapes they would get pulled back in to the library.

Lee_C
Level 5

Thanks Bill,

We have performed some tests.  The vaulting works as you described.

We did observe one issue.  If we use the HP web gui to move a tape from a slot, to the MAP, it is immediately sucked back in again.  A scenario for this would be if we needed to do a restore which required media to be inserted into the robot which had no free slots.

Any ideas?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What if you eject from NBU (right-click, eject)?

Lee_C
Level 5

Thanks Marianne,

I monitored the web gui whilst doing a right-click eject.

The tape moves from a slot to the mail slot, and there is a prompt in netbackup to remove the tape and continue.

I can't remove the tape since it is at a remote site.   Netbackup then completed with errors, and the tape gets sucked back in again.  I need to schedule this test with some remote hands to test this properly.

Cheers!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

You either:

- remove the media from the MAP & select yes (or whatever), OR

- say no & then go remove the media (or not as the case may be!)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Agree with Andy - if you dont actually take it out it will get sucked back in by default

You could try using robtest to do it:

m s10 i1

Will move a tape from slot 10 to map port 1

Dont forget to update the inventory afterwards though

Or you could script it:

vmchange -res -m <ABC123> -mt <HCART> -rh <robothost> -rt <tld> -rn <0>  -rc1 <slot> -e -sec 1

Just change the parts in <> to match what you have, they realte to the Media ID, density, robot host name, robot type, robot number and slot number that the tape is in in the library

This does exactly what a right click does but it doesnt suck the tape back in (you still need to update the inventory afterwards)

Hope this helps

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

default"

....but only if you say "Yes" to the continue prompt.

If you say "No" the media stays in the MAP, the library is re-inventoried automatically (now minus the ejected media) & you get "Eject successful" reported.

Will_Restore
Level 6

the "Yes I don't want to eject the tape(s)" 

Amaan
Level 6

We have setup AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT to make the inventory automated and everything is working fine. We are doing tape handling (vault job) every single day and not seeing any issues since 3 more month. it shouldnt not make any trouble. Tapes will be kept in the MAP until somebody opens and closes the it. I have moved the tape manually from library console, i have ejected the tapes and everything is ok.

Only thing which you should make sure that your library should not be partitioned. It is not recommanded by Symantec.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Has your question been answered? - It looks like it has

Please mark a solution to close off the thread if you are satisfied