Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About master server

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Hello All,

I have a querry regarding my Master/media sever.

Is is a right thing to have master and media sever on Vm (Linux machine)

1:) What are the future problems which can arise due to this..?

2:) And what are the minimum requirment for having them on VM (linux machines)

Smiles,

VashishtG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Correct about disk storage on media servers. You can connect tape library to NDMP host and backup directly to tape.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have a look at this

DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated February 20, 2013).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

and this

NetBackup 7.x Operating System Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

This Statement of Support for NetBackup in a Virtual Environment document describes the extent of support for NetBackup within a virtual environment. Ideally, every NetBackup configuration supported in a traditional physical environment would also be supported in any virtual environment without qualification. While that is our mission, it is not always possible.
Therefore, the purpose of this document is to:

* Clarify differences between NetBackup support in physical vs. virtual environments
* Describe general guidelines for support in virtual environments
* Describe impact upon specific NetBackup components: clients, servers, options, etc. * Provide references to related information

Virtual Systems Compatibility - Reference Article: TECH127089 Statement of Support for NetBackup in a Virtual Environment:

<http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089> 

NathanNieman
Level 6

If I remeber correct you can't have a media server on a VM.  We looked into this and didn't go down this route for a reason.  let me review my notes and see if I can find out why.

Marianne
Level 6

Disk storage is supported on virtual media server, not tape (media manager). 
See documentation posted by revaroo.

Why? simply because it does not work.
We have seen from time to time in this forum how various users have been able to get physical robot and type drives mapped to VMs and even able to configure them in NBU. Problem appeared when media was mounted in tape drive - the OS simply never received the mounted status to pass on to NBU...

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Thanks for your rplys....

So, Here is the conclusion, Correct me if i am wrong...

If i talk about my Envirmonent:  So, here in my enviroment Master and Media are on same VM machine (Master is also acting as a media sever) So only DISK storage is supported (either:- Basic OR Advance ) But not tape...(Bcz tape Backup will not work and successful).

So i can only have disk based backup

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

Adding to this, and if Tape backup is not possible....so i cannot have NDMP backups on Tape. 

Marianne
Level 6
Correct about disk storage on media servers. You can connect tape library to NDMP host and backup directly to tape.

Gogs
Level 3
Certified

thanks....