cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerator for Netbackup

Mitchell1776
Level 2

Hello I have been trying to find this answer but to no avail. 

The questions are:

Should NBU policies that utilize the Accelerator option have the same retention for the Full and Incremental backups? 

What would be the detriment if not?

Additionally how would running the backups to tape media affect the restorability of the server or file?

Would I need to retreive the original tape containing the full backup w/ accelerator and multitudes of tapes leading up to current if we needed to go back say 3 months.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A duplication of accelerator backup jobs will be full volume on tape. 

e.g 

full backup - on disk 20G - on tape 20G

incremental  - on disk 500MB - on tape 20G

incremental - on disk 100MB - on tape 20G

Because of this there is no difference in how accelerated backup on disk behave and non-accelerated backups on tape behave. When ever data from a accelerated disk pool is moved "outside" the disk pool, Netbackup will move all data for that backup image to ensure data integrity. 

Hope I have explained comprehensible :)

Best Regrads

Nicolai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There is no need for retentions to be the same.

Accelerator is for supported dedupe devices only, not tape.

Accelerator is only used to speed up backup to dedupe storage, it has no effect on restores.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Accelerator does not support tape.

To use accelerator you need use a accelerator compliant device like MSDP or a OST device like Data Domain or StoreOnce.

A duplication of a accelerator incremental backup from disk will be a full volume copy on tape in order to ensure integrity.

Thank you both for replying.  My environment is Data Domain, and MSDP from NetApp and HP EVA.  I have configured my policies(the ones that support Acceleration) with Accelerator.  I do not be run my backups directly to tape but as you both pointed out I am replicating to tape weekly for an offsite DR via SLP.  With that detail now provided how does the to tape backup work in relation to accelerator enabled backups? Need to run a separate non accelerator job to tape, and simply have my retention on accelerator backups extended to what I historically have done with the "old" backup to disk -->duplicate to tape SLPs? 

I really just want to ensure that in case a restore from 60 days past is needed; I can recall my tape media and perform the restore.  If accelerator will not help with this I will run a weekly to tape job for my systems to satisfy DR and compliance purposes, and keep my accelerator jobs for nearline restores.

Current retention:

Weekly Full > Nearline/SLP > HPEML Tape > Nearline for 2 weeks - offisite Retention 12 weeks

Daily Inc > Nearline disk > Retention 2 weeks

I truely appreciate you Marianne and Nicolai, you both have provided such great insight and assistance since I took over the NBU here 3 years ago.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A duplication of accelerator backup jobs will be full volume on tape. 

e.g 

full backup - on disk 20G - on tape 20G

incremental  - on disk 500MB - on tape 20G

incremental - on disk 100MB - on tape 20G

Because of this there is no difference in how accelerated backup on disk behave and non-accelerated backups on tape behave. When ever data from a accelerated disk pool is moved "outside" the disk pool, Netbackup will move all data for that backup image to ensure data integrity. 

Hope I have explained comprehensible :)

Best Regrads

Nicolai