cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerator using more storage

Gstrouth
Level 3

Does it make sense that Accelerator backups would use more storage space than just traditional full/diff backups? I am backing up to a dedup pool and since switching to accelerator backups for VMware it is using almost 3TB more after only a few weeks. 

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How do you conclude that accelerator consume more space ?

Gstrouth
Level 3

Well first I can tell because the backups have consumed over 2TB more in the last few weeks since enabling. I can also tell by the size of the backup jobs. I can have 1 server where the differentials could be a few mb but with accelerator they are multiple gb.

frank_butler1
Level 3

Though the job details show the full KB of protected data the amount sent to the storage unit is typically much smaller in size.

accellerator.JPG

Are you seeing more space usage on the disk pool side or are you using the activity monitor for your numbers? Storage pool used space (below) is what I use in any space usage reporting from the master server.  Or you can use the Reports->Disk Reports->Disk pool status  report.  I think the activity monitor display is not the same as KB written to the STU

120px_Storage server.JPG

Hope it helps

Gstrouth
Level 3

Yeah I am referring to the actual amout of data sent.

Yes on the disk pool side and on the physical disk. 

frank_butler1
Level 3

Are you getting any dedup?

Can you post the job details so we can look?

Gstrouth
Level 3

Sorry for not replying sooner but yeah I'm getting a lot of dedup but the job sizes are still way bigger. I have attached an image of what I'm seeing. This is an exchange cas server so pretty much just a web server. The first jobs are with accelerator, you'll notice the differentials were averaging about 150,000 but after I turned off the accelerator on the 30th you can see the size went down to around 70,000. Now this is just a small server so these numbers aren't crazy but i'm seeing the same thing on bigger servers and then the difference starts to add up.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Do you mean that The colunm "volume(KB) " indicates the total size of backup image for backup job?

Could you please post the job detail info for job id 153353 and job id 156197?  for 153353(with accelerator enabled, right?), to check its backup image size and the amount of data sent to server. for 156197(with acceaerator disabled, right?), to check its backup image size.

As you said, the size is smaller than before 30th, is it possbile that the amount of changed data is different caused this result? It means that it had more changed data before 30th, less changed data after 30th.

thanks

walker