cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied and Unable to Retrieve Version of Server

Seth_E
Level 6

Hi all,

So, netbackup was working fine this morning and I go for a lunch break, come back to find that when I start the java console, I get an error: Access to perform operation was denied.

We are running 7.6.0.2 on Windows 2008 R2

I log into the master server via RDP and try the fat client, I get the "Unable to Retrieve Version of Server".

My login account is not locked and I use domain credentials (always have) and not had any issues.

What services can I safetly restart in Netbackup that won't interrupt jobs? I have quite a few important jobs running now and don't want to reboot the server just yet.

Thanks all

Seth

*UPDATE: I do notice these errors in the event log. Not sure if it's related.

The description for Event ID 0 from source nbazd cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

started service

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For the first, please check if jobs are still running or have been already failed by bpdbjobs.exe or looking into log files under <install_path>\NetBackup\db\error and <install_path>\NetBackup\db\jobs. Debug logs on clients is also helpful if enabled. If no active jobs, it is better to restart all NetBackup services by bpdown and bpup.

How bpps.exe shows? Generally, bprd(NetBackup Request Manager), bpcd(NetBackup Client Service) and PBX(Symantec Private Branch Exchange) are common services that is first involved when master server is recieved any request from other host. But these are also used in backup operations.If any application backup like DBs are not running, bprd may be able to restart safely. 

Seth_E
Level 6

Before leaving work I checked for running jobs using bpdbjobs command and all the jobs that I expected to run are either queued or running. I re-ran the command serveral times to ensure data is in fact flowing, and it is.

I've also restared the Authorization and Authenticaion services, but, I still can't log in. All other netbackup services are running.

I'll be sure to troubleshoot further as soon as I get in to the office tomorrow.

Greek-God
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi , Please review the dpdbm logs for errors and paste the output here too. 

Also please confirm the value of Client_Port_Window registry, It should be 0 0.

Seth_E
Level 6

Hi there,

I do not see a  dpdbm folder in netackup\logs folder.

Seth_E
Level 6

OK, now I'm running into serious issues. I rinally shut down using bpdown and bpup, but still, I couldn't log in via either the JAVA gui, or the client on the master server.

I rebooted the master server, and still can't login.

I've opened a case with Netbackup but, if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to post.

Seth_E
Level 6

OK, i figured this out and it was caused by my complete stupidity.

I hadded by master server IP and host name in the hosts file, but, had a typo which caused the master server to resolve itself to the media server IP.

Complete baffoonary. Anyway, I cleared this up, ran bplcntcmd -clear_host_cache and all seems fine now.

Sorry to was all of your time. Thanks again

Seth