cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing Netbackup database for custom reports.

Damian_Yates
Level 2
I was wondering if it is possible to access the Netbackup and Backup Exec database repositories directly to export data for canned and real time custom reports?

8 REPLIES 8

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
  Damian,
There are underlying sybase databases at /usr/openv/db/data/ which house the EMM database.  The image database is stored on the file system at /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/ .  That is where the data lives, but I would use NetBackup commands to pull info out of those databases, commands like: bpimmedia, bpmedialist, vmquery, and bpimagelist.

Symontec
Level 5
Hi Damian... What kind of reports you need? There are a lot of commands to query a NetBackup database on real time, and some reports (default ones) to see. If you want, you can develope some costumized scripts to get the info you want. Besides, there is a product called Backup Reporter, I haven't tried this but it can help you (I think).

Regards,
SAF

Damian_Yates
Level 2
I am running NB on Windows, i know it wasn't my choice, and the canned reports in Backup reporter are difficult to manipulate.  As I am extremely familiar with SQL reporting server, I was hoping to use it to develop customised reports for the gentlemen upstairs whom have very explicit requirements for the formating of the reports. Though if I have to continue to use cmd line and scripts to collect and format, i will.  Was only looking to work smarter and not harder :)

Symontec
Level 5
Understand and totally agree with you... I'm looking for something else and if I have any usefull info I will let you know.

Regards,
SAF

M_Hood
Level 3
Hi all,

Can you advise where I can find the NB Sybase DB's on my Windows system? I have a DBA that would like to try and use the data to create a custom report showing what backups we have for each policy, when they were taken and when they expire.

I have been in touch with Symantec technical support and this specific report is not available within the normal reporting tools.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

SteveYu
Level 4
I believe the article I wrote below is what you are looking for. Be warned you are trying to play with fire. The only major note I will say is that I did this on a Linux master server but you can easily do it on a Windows box. Also as the other posters noted there are other flat files which contain data you would be interested in such job data, policy config,etc,etc

-Steve

http://sites.google.com/site/netbackupwiki/netbackup-6-5-3/howto/connect-to-the-netbackup-sybase-database

M_Hood
Level 3
Thanks for your email Steve, the link is very helpful indeed. I am concerned about our DBA doing this but I am prepared to give him a copy of the DB and he can attempt to see if it is possible to create the reports he wants before allowing him access to the live DB on the master server.

Can anyone clarify exactly where I can find the DB on a Windows installation? I am assuming that it will be 1 individual file rather than a group?

Thanks in advance

SteveYu
Level 4
You can export the database using the "nbdb" command with some switches I believe and he would have to import it into a Sybase database. If I were you and really wanted to explore what you are asking I would recommend the following path.

- Get lots of time and a SQL database  person
- Get a lab machine and duplicate the master server into it so you have 2 master servers but the lab copy of obviously not plugged in.
- The reason for this is because the database guy can't make any sense of the data he/she is looking at without you. The reason for cloning the master server is because it's likely you won't know the answer either and you will likely need to do some test backups to understand some of the fields.
- Be mindful of what is stored in the databases and what is not. You could be trying to create a report on something that is not in the database.