Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activty Monitor

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

What is the purpose of owner in activity Monitor? Does it related with auth.conf file user?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

it's actually a 'user'.

Displayed as column 'Owner' in Activity Monitor & the same under 'Job Overview' within the Job Details.

"Help" describes this as "Owner: The owner of the job" which initially doesn't appear to 'help' a great deal as all our owners are root - but that's because all our backups are scheduled, if I run a 'User Backup' of my PC it shows the owner as my AD account.

- so basically it's who ran the job, but not quite as "cut-n-dried" as that: a restore of the aforementioned User Backup through the same route as the backup itself is also owned by root & not the user who instigated it (me).

***EDIT***

Does it related with auth.conf file user?

Not really. The auth.conf file determines which users have access to which areas of the Java Admin Console & also the rights to perform which actions within same, whereas the 'Owner' is exactly that - the owner of the job.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Owner in activity monitor means that backup job was owned by that specific media server.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

it's actually a 'user'.

Displayed as column 'Owner' in Activity Monitor & the same under 'Job Overview' within the Job Details.

"Help" describes this as "Owner: The owner of the job" which initially doesn't appear to 'help' a great deal as all our owners are root - but that's because all our backups are scheduled, if I run a 'User Backup' of my PC it shows the owner as my AD account.

- so basically it's who ran the job, but not quite as "cut-n-dried" as that: a restore of the aforementioned User Backup through the same route as the backup itself is also owned by root & not the user who instigated it (me).

***EDIT***

Does it related with auth.conf file user?

Not really. The auth.conf file determines which users have access to which areas of the Java Admin Console & also the rights to perform which actions within same, whereas the 'Owner' is exactly that - the owner of the job.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Thankx for correction......yes

actually i confused between Media owner & Activity monitor owner

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

afterall that's what most of the 'ownership' questions are about (i.e. media ownership). In all honesty I had to amend our AM column layout to actually display the 'Owner' column as it contains no useful info for us so we leave it hidden.

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Yogesh/ Andy,

Thanks for your info.

How can we give Role Based Access to user in netbackup operations. I am meaning that if a user 'x' start the restoration. Is it possible to monitor his work ?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

but you can certainly restrict a users capabilities.

e.g. from tha Admin Guide wrt Java Admin Console & the auth.conf that you've already mentioned:

Capabilities authorization in the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface enables certain parts of the user interface to allow one to perform certain tasks
To authorize users for a subset of Backup, Archive, and Restore capabilities, use the following identifiers for the JBP keyword in the auth.conf file
For example, to allow a user (user1) to restore but not backup up or archive files:
          user1 ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Andy

From your examble, if I login java console via user1 and start any restoration .  What i will get in owmer colum of AM. Is root or user1 ?

From your above note i find that it will show root.Correct me if i am wrong. 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

For some reason the restore process appears to be owned by root. I'm sure there's a valid reason for this but I'm not aware without doing a little more research.

There are auditting facilities within NB7.x and OpsCentre. May be worth investigating those, but not something I have any experience of.

Hopefully there will be further input from the other 'gems' on the forum .... M.M.M.?

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Will look for some more input from others.