cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad-hoc additional duplicate of SLP managed policy

wenhamp
Level 2

I have a requirement to take an additional ad-hoc duplication to physical tape of a backup image that is managed by SLP.

Currently the policy as an SLP applied with the backup to VTL with retention set to X and the duplicate to a physical tape with a retention Y.

What I was hoping to do was find the backup image primary copy in the catalogue and simply right click and click duplicate however it is greyed out. I initially thought it was the maximum copies attribute in the master server properties that was stopping me as this was set to 2 however I have set this to 3 and restarted the master server; the duplicate option is greyed out.

Subsequently I have read that the duplicate option is probably not available as the policy is managed by an SLP; so my question is how to take an ad-hoc duplication of this image. (The business have decided that this image also needs to be kept for 7 years, the SLP that made the duplication has a 1 year retention).

I know I can use the command line to change the retention / expiry of the tapes to 7 years, that is my plan B option however the above seems like it should be an easy thing to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

have you tried from the command prompt to duplicate?

bpduplicate -backupid backup_id -dstunit storage_unit

You can then try and update the expiration using: bpxpdate -backupid backup_id -d new_expiration -copy copy_number

omit the -copy if you want all copies to be 7 years

?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

have you tried from the command prompt to duplicate?

bpduplicate -backupid backup_id -dstunit storage_unit

You can then try and update the expiration using: bpxpdate -backupid backup_id -d new_expiration -copy copy_number

omit the -copy if you want all copies to be 7 years

?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The likely reason the option to duplicate is grayed out is because the "Action:" at the top of the Search tab is still set to "Verify".  You have to set this to "Duplicate" in order to duplicate images.

Find your image you want to duplicate, make sure it is set to Primary Copy, change the drop-down from Verify to Duplicate, THEN right-click the image.  You should be able to duplicate the image from there without having to restort to the command line.