cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding LTO6 drives to library with LTO4 drives

Frank_R
Level 3

Hello,

Yesterday we added several LTO6 drives to our SL8500 library that has LTO4 drives.

After we installed the new drives, I zoned them to one media server, ran the wizard and it discovered a new robot. Now I have the original ACS(0) and ACS(2), which is the new robot. I also configured a new storage unit on the new media server for the new tapes.

I inserted 10 LTO6 tapes and manually moved them to a volume pool called LTO6_TEST that I just created.

I ran a test backup using the new media server and it ran successfully.

This morning I added 10 more drives to the library and when I ran the Robot Inventory, it tries to add the tapes but when it goes to the first of the LTO6 tapes that already existed there, it shows the following:

Update failed: could not add new media ID 'M00146' into robot
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

And then it stops and doesn't add the new media. What am I doing wrong? Also, what would be the best practice for a libarry with 2 different kinds of drives, LTO4 and LTO6?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just need to get clarification on some of your statements:

This morning I added 10 more drives to the library

Probably tapes. Not drives?

... it tries to add the tapes but when it goes to the first of the LTO6 tapes .....

Inventory will add tapes to a robot. Not drives.

LTO4 are HCART3 and the LTO6 are HCART2.

Sure about this?
NBU defaults is HCART for LTO4 and HCART3 for LTO6

Media Type Mapping for ACS robots can be verified in the Robot Inventory Advanced options in the Media Type Mappings tab.

Please take note of Default and allowable media types in Table 8-10 of NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I 

Important the you know the ACS media types for the LTO4 and LTO6 and then ensure that the mapping in NBU matches the NBU drive density/type.

You also say :

Now I have the original ACS(0) and ACS(2) 

Do you have only one SL8500 library or more than one?

If you have only one, then ACS(2) is wrong. You need to delete the robot and the drives and start again.

The LTO6 drives must be added in NBU to the same ACS(0) robot.

Once we have basic device config right, we will see if the Inventory error for 'media ID not unique in database (34)' still appears and start troubleshooting that.

Managing API type robots in NBU (such as ACSLS) is quite different from direct-attached robots.

Please take your time and read through chapter 10 of NetBackup Device Configuration Guide 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Frank_R
Level 3

Thank you for your response mph999,

Yes, the tapes now are different density, the LTO4 are HCART3 and the LTO6 are HCART2.

I have never messed with the media ID rules.

That M00146 tape, I entered this mrongin with the first batch of tapes and Netbackup read it with no problem. The problem came when I inserted more tapes.

My first batch this morning was from M00146 to M00155. Those are working fine. Later I added M00156 and more... Those are the ones that are not being recognized.

I even tried to add one of them manually with no success:

dprxnbm1:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd# ./bpimport -create_db_info  -id M00156 -server dpsdi11p3
Import phase 1 started Thu Dec  4 15:05:12 2014
INF - Create DB information for media id M00156.
INF - Initiation of bptm process to phase 1 import media id M00156 was successful.
INF - Media id M00156 was not found in the volume manager database. It must be added to the volume manager database before it can be imported.
INF - Status = requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database.

Thanks again

Will_Restore
Level 6

Add the media with GUI Inventory Robot or CLI vmupdate, instead of bpimport.

Marianne

Just need to get clarification on some of your statements:

This morning I added 10 more drives to the library

Probably tapes. Not drives?

... it tries to add the tapes but when it goes to the first of the LTO6 tapes .....

Inventory will add tapes to a robot. Not drives.

LTO4 are HCART3 and the LTO6 are HCART2.

Sure about this?
NBU defaults is HCART for LTO4 and HCART3 for LTO6

Media Type Mapping for ACS robots can be verified in the Robot Inventory Advanced options in the Media Type Mappings tab.

Please take note of Default and allowable media types in Table 8-10 of NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I 

Important the you know the ACS media types for the LTO4 and LTO6 and then ensure that the mapping in NBU matches the NBU drive density/type.

You also say :

Now I have the original ACS(0) and ACS(2) 

Do you have only one SL8500 library or more than one?

If you have only one, then ACS(2) is wrong. You need to delete the robot and the drives and start again.

The LTO6 drives must be added in NBU to the same ACS(0) robot.

Once we have basic device config right, we will see if the Inventory error for 'media ID not unique in database (34)' still appears and start troubleshooting that.

Managing API type robots in NBU (such as ACSLS) is quite different from direct-attached robots.

Please take your time and read through chapter 10 of NetBackup Device Configuration Guide 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

edited as I failed to note it was an acs library, apologies.  Marianne below has given correct advice. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

see above

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Frank_R
Level 3

Marianne,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the error, I meant that I added 10 new tapes.

I deleted all drives and robots and started from scratch.

Now I have only one robot ACS(0). And all drives are mapped, the LTO4 and LTO6.

All LTO4 drives are discovered ar HCART and all LTO6 drives are HCART3.

When i started working NBU, this library was configured with only LTO4 tapes, they always have been HCART3 and every time I had to add a drive I had to manually change it from HCART to HCART3.

Is there any way to change all my LTO tapes from HCART3 to HCART and my LTO6 tapes from HCART2 to HCART3? That way everyhting should be the right way, right?

And after I discovered all my drives, I ran the Robot Inventory again, and I got the same error:

Update failed: could not add new media ID 'M00146' into robot
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

What can I do next? Thanks

Marianne

The problem with tape drives added as different densities from the NBU defaults means that you will always have to change it manually when you use the device config wizard or else not use the wizard and add the devices manually.

You are right - the LTO4 drive densities cannot change now because the LTO4 media was probably also added as HCART3 and contains backups on this media type.

You will need to change the drive types manually as before.

To get back to my previous post - you need to check media types in ACSLS - the media types for LTO4 and LTO6 should be different. 
Check Media Type Mappings tab and ensure that the ACS media types match the drive types/density in NBU.

To find out what the problem is with Inventory, please run this command on the master server:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmcheckxxx -rt acs -rn 0 -rh <media-server> >/tmp/robot.txt

If master server is also media server where acs robot was added, you can add master server name with -rh.

Please upload robot.txt as File attachment.

Frank_R
Level 3

Marianne,

Thanks again for your help.

I manually changed all drives to match the media density. (I have always done this when we had only LTO4).

After rediscovering all drives, the LTO6 tapes were assigned to the now non-existent ACS(2). Once I moved the tapes to ACS(0), I was able to run Inventory and all is ok now.