cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding barcode label to unknown volumes

DPO
Level 6

Hi,

We have  a legacy environment where we used a number of tapes for backups. There are approximately 100 tapes without barcode label. NetBackup had assigned its defualt Media ID for all the volumes. I'm sure all the volumes have valid data. We want to label (add barcode label ) to all these volumes. All these volumes are currently not in library.

Is it possible to add barcode label to these volumes...If we add barcode label to these volumes and move them into library, will NetBackup be able to recognize these volumes ? Can someone help me with detailed steps..

How Can I associate barcode label to a volume that is not in library but has valid data for restores ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot stick a barcode on the tape without knowing what the internal label is.

You will need to put the tapes in the robot (preferably specific slots), then run a physical inventory to get to know automated/internal label.

You can then eject the tapes one by one, add a label, and then update the volume config as follows: 

vmchange -barcode <barcode> -m <media_id>

See this similar discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/adding-barcode-labels-tapes-already-used-netbackup

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to match the optical barcode label with the magnetic label netbackup has assigned to them.

You will run into trouble if you use barcode B00000 to a tape where the magnetic label is A00000.

Update: Too late ...

Eric_Zhang
Level 5

Please refer to this post .

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/adding-barcode-labels-tapes-already-used-netbackup

Eric

Marianne
Level 6

As per the link in my post above.....

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Yes,as  Marianne suggested you need to eject the tapes one by one and add label.

recently we have  seen similar kind of issue in one of our environment.

To re-label:

Right click the tape.

Choose lable

you need to un check the verify media label before performing operation option.

if you dont perform above step you will get below error:

odd "incorrect media found in drive index" error.

Plz do this only once after all images on the tape have expired.so validate it before you perform this and go ahead.

Marianne
Level 6

Media can only be re-labeled once all images have expired.

Please see discussion as per the link in my 1st reply.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Thank you Marianne,got u..we have actually expired the data (Test environment) and relabeled it.

DPO
Level 6

All our volumes are having 7yrs retention. So our intention is not to relabel them. Just to identify the volumes quickly in case of restores.

Marianne
Level 6

Is it possible to add barcode label to these volumes...If we add barcode label to these volumes and move them into library, will NetBackup be able to recognize these volumes ? Can someone help me with detailed steps..

My 1st reply above answers this question.

You will have Media Id A00015 with Barcode XYZ123L4 that NBU will recognize when moved back into the library.

Marianne
Level 6

Just a pity that ashokk stopped responding, leaving this thread unresolved....

DPO
Level 6

Marrianne ,

Does this mean, we can stick any barcode label to the tape ? For example , I have a tape without barcode label with NetBackup media ID as A000001 .Lets say, I stick the barcode label as XYZ123L3 and update EMM database as follows,

vmchange -barcode XYZ123L3 -m A000001

Will that be fine ?

DPO
Level 6

Marrianne ,

Does this mean, we can stick any barcode label to the tape ? For example , I have a tape without barcode label with NetBackup media ID as A000001 .Lets say, I stick the barcode label as XYZ123L3 and update EMM database as follows,

vmchange -barcode XYZ123L3 -m A000001

Will that be fine ?

And I just want to keep this thread open until we label them :)

Marianne
Level 6