cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: Networker 7.3.1 versus Netbackup 6

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Currently we are evaluating Networker 7.3.1 within our SAN\CDL environment. Performance issues abound. We are having a VAR come in to show us Netbackup 6. From the threads within this forum, Netbackup 6 has it's detractors. My question is which is the lesser of 2 evils:

Networker 7.3.1 or Netbackup 6
15 REPLIES 15

DavidParker
Level 6
Go for Option 3!

NetBackup 5.1!

Ade_A
Level 4
IMO Netbackup 6 is the obvious choice. As much as NBU 6 has it's issues. Veritas' customer service, market share and talent can't be beat!

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Ron,

From some experience of evaluation and talking to some senior guys within Veritas, most Netbackup 6 problems and complains encountered are in the situation of migration from a lower version to Netbackup 6. If you starts fresh from Netbackup 6, it is far less problem.

Do look at the roadmap of both products. Legato/Networker is recently brought over by EMC, would they still maintain as independent or neutral as it was? The lack of the ability to segregate the permission for individual user groups on admin GUI was what push us from Networker to Netbackup years ago.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I did a fresh install of a 6.0 system and have not had as many problems as others have experienced. I still have to upgrade my existing 5.1 MP4 system to 6.0 but I am waiting for MP4 to arrive. I will also wait an additional 8 weeks to see what bugs it may introduce. In defense of VERITAS, there have been many changes in the 6.0 version and eventually it will be a far superior product.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Yup, I think MP4 is going to be available very soon and also Netbackup 6.5 is targeting to release on 2nd quarter of 2007, with Puredisk integrated. :)

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
We have encountered additional issues with NetWorker and will probably go with NetBackup. When talking with the NetBackup rep, items which are a add-on to NetWorker are part of the NetBackup base.

I know we will use the Advance Client. But from what the rep mentioned, VSS is part of the NetBackup base. Is this true? Also, how clients and VTL's are priced seem attractive versus NetWorker licensing (they nickel and dime you to death). Tape Management does not exist under NetWorker (unless you purchase AlphaStor). So on and so forth...

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Chia,

I am unable to award you "helpful" points as the option is not available.

Sysadmin, could you please award Chia "helpful" points?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
It's ok, one can only award max. 2 helpful and 1 correct (and I don't mind either :) )

Yes, OpenFile Manager for Legato is an option and Netbackup VSP in the pre-2003 Win Client and VSS for Win2k3 client comes with the base.

But if you're referring to Offsite tape management, the Vault option for Netbackup is an optional product which requires separate purchase. Had a glimse on AlphaStor sometime ago, my impression was both products provides only meets some fundamental requirement. Suggest you get the pre-sales to present the Vault option to you, or better, provide them with your tape management requirements and ask them to do a demo (with end-to-end cycle of eject, offsite and returning (with all relevant reports at each stages) base on that.

h_m
Level 6
NetWorker works in a completely different way to NetBackup, so it really depends what you are trying to achieve at the end of the day. NetWorker duplication is not as good as NetBackup, DR takes longer on NetBackup (CFI's on NetWorker agr genius!), managing devices is easier on NetBackup.... My advice would be to install NetWorker and have a play with it - you get 30 days free grace.... then see which fits...

As I said, what you are trying to achieve should dictate whic one you go for....

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
just to add:

having experience with both Networker and Netbackup.
I choose Netbackup. althou, as like u said Netbackup has detractors
but you can't deny it has great features.

When I was using Networker-- it's always having issues with Alphastor
so I had to uninstall Alphastor. Networker and Alphastor have problems when sysnchronizing their database resulting stucked tapes in the library.

h_m
Level 6
You really need to work out what you ultimately want to achieve, as NBU licence costs differ to networker costs.

Also the underlying workings of both products are different, so you will need to evaluate both. In my opinion networker is not as intuitive to administer, NBU is easier. Also NBU has more functionality than networker (at present) such as duplication, but then it�s an additional licence etc...

So it really is a question of what you want backups to do, not what is the lesser of 2 evils.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
We have decided to go the NetBackup route. Legato keeps stating that Networker is "Enterprise" level. But their definition of "Enterprise" is that it runs on multiple platforms. Also, in order to simplify development cost, they went to a Java Interface, which severely limits functionality in a Windows environment.

I know NetBackup has a Java Interface, but it also has a very good Windows Interface, which leverages Windows' functionality. All in all after evaluating both products, the administration of NetBackup surpasses Networker.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

h_m
Level 6
Just for your info: -

You will need to use the NetBackup java GUI if you ever have app cluster media serves, and also NetWorker beats the pants off NBU when in a DR scenario, and also NetWorker will always keep data for the cycle set, where as NBU does not care, and if backups continually fail then images will expire regardless.

As long as people know the limitations of each backup application and administer the environment accordingly then all should be good :)

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Can you go into more detail about the DR scenario - or is this beyond the scope of this thread?

h_m
Level 6
Its all down to the way NBU and NetWorker catalogs work.

When you do an NBU recovery it recovers everything in the catalog, and if the images part of the catalog is big it can take a long time.

NetWorker recovers the CFI indexes - client file indexes for the required clients, rapidly reducing the time taken to perform the initial DR, as CFI's are small in comparison.

The only way to match this in NBU is to perform a split catalog backup, where the images part of the catalog is backed up separately from the catalog backup (up to NBU 5.1), but I don�t know how to do this within NBU 6.x.