cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on multi-streaming for backups of DFSR?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If I have a backup client:

NBU:  Client v7.7.3
Name: clientA C: System only D: Typical site apps E: DFSR name space "myspace1" F: DFSR name space "myspace2" G: DFSR name space "myspace3" H: DFSR name space "myspace4" V: VSS delta volume

...and I have two servers "clientA" and "clientB", and all four DFSR namespaces are replicating, and I know that "clientA" is DFSR preferred, and "clientB" should be typically passive...

And if I schedule backups of  System_State: and C: and D: with no-multi-streaming (i.e. all three areas are in one backup job) of both "clientA" and "clientB" to occur at 19:00, and I schedule the four DFSR backups to run only from "clientB" to occur from 22:00 onwards...

...and assuming that the OS backup (SS: C: D: ) of both nodes is always complete by 20:00

...then... my question is...

How many concurrent backups of DFSR via "clientB" might I be able to run at the same time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sajal
Level 3

It's not possible to run DFSR stream simultaneously.See below technote(section-Methods to resolve the situation:point no. 3)

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000018813

Workarounds available:

1) Run offline DFSR backups: Make sure to stop the DFS Replication Service prior to backing up the DFSR data at the volume level

2) Backup the DFSR data as a single item, one stream. Example:
Add NEW_STREAM directive at the top:

NEW_STREAM
Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\DFSRM
Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\DFSJM
Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\DFSRM

With this file list, all 3 data selections will backup in a single stream using a single snapshot, assuming that the folders, (DFSRM, etc.) all exist on the same volume.Hope this help.

-Sajal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo

Forgot to add that...

VSS is configured such that C: uses D:, and D: uses C:...

...and all four of E: F: G: H: are all set to use V:.

Sajal
Level 3

It's not possible to run DFSR stream simultaneously.See below technote(section-Methods to resolve the situation:point no. 3)

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000018813

Workarounds available:

1) Run offline DFSR backups: Make sure to stop the DFS Replication Service prior to backing up the DFSR data at the volume level

2) Backup the DFSR data as a single item, one stream. Example:
Add NEW_STREAM directive at the top:

NEW_STREAM
Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\DFSJM

With this file list, all 3 data selections will backup in a single stream using a single snapshot, assuming that the folders, (DFSRM, etc.) all exist on the same volume.Hope this help.

-Sajal

sdo

Thank you.

That TN specifically mentions Windows 2008 R2.  I have asked via the tech note whether the same still applies for Windows 2012 R2, and Windows 2016.